if out doors.and wanting fast shutter speed,say,1/100..and iso is correct,BUT i couldnt get aperture correct?

OK anything below f.10 was JUST too dull and anything over was JUST too light

well any tips of how i cud have got it spot on

without showing you thats all info i can give

1. shot in manual

2.needed fast shutter so i tryed 1/60 to 1/100

3.but anything below f10 was little dark, but over too light

4. the iso i tryed auto, AND tryed myself, 400 and 800..

????? how could i have got the picture JUST RIGHT

is it the lens or what??

tamron 55-200mm on canon 1000d

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

What aperture did you want?

I am not sure what aperture you were aiming for but if you wanted to use something like F5.6 then you need a faster shutter. You can use up to 1/4000.

If you were aiming for something like F16, and still wanted a fast shutter, then you can only use a higher iso.

Sometimes, it is not possible to get the settings you want and you have to compromise.

• 9 years ago

If you're outdoors and the subject is in direct sunlight you wouldn't want or need 1/60 or 1/100 shutter speed. You would want one faster at about 1/500 or even faster and your iso lower to about 200 or even 100. You would only need iso higher when taking pictures in dim lighting or to compensate for shutter speed and aperture when handling the camera in dim lighting without a tripod so your photo isn't blurry. And if you still can't get what you want, try taking the photo in full auto and then look at the settings the camera determined. Or even aperture priority mode where you just set the aperture you desire and the camera determines the rest and then see those settings to get an idea of which settings you want when going all manual.

• 9 years ago

It may be that the questioner couldn't get the entire frame exposed correctly, as opposed to a problem using the camera. Did you mean that there are parts too dark, yet if you expose for them correctly the other parts become too bright? If so then this is simply because the camera's sensor does not have the same dynamic range as the human eye. It will not capture all the shade AND all the bright detail at the same time.

If you want to do that then you could look up "Exposure Blending" or HDR photography. Getting a "perfect exposure" would only be possible if you were pointing the camera at a fairly balanced scene, light-wise.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

F10 strange setting.. but hey... i wasnt there.

set 100asa... meter the scene... and remember, where you point the meter matters a whole lot... film can only see 5 stops. outside that, its black or white... so we need to make an assessment of the scene, and what we want out of it.

meter the sky, the ground goes black, meter the foreground and the sky is just a white nothing...

its a happy medium were after...

each stop lets in hafl as much light as teh stop beside it. so, F8 will have F11 and F5.6 either side of it... F11 is half as much, F5.6 is twice as much... so if the meter says F8 at 125th, then F11 will be 60th and F5.6 250th (of a second) we use this to control depth of field.

and remember, DOF changes with lens (focal length)

and... if you still cant get a good shot, theres always photoshop...

Source(s): 40yrs doiing it... and 20yrs teaching
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.