IFR/VFR Weather Question?

Got a question, hopefully someone can clarify my confusion. At a Class D airport the ceiling was 800ft and IMC, then the next hour it was 1100ft and VMC. I thought in Class D the VFR mins are 500ft below the clouds and the minimum safe altitude over terrain is 1000ft so therefore it has to be 1500ft to be VMC but... show more Got a question, hopefully someone can clarify my confusion. At a Class D airport the ceiling was 800ft and IMC, then the next hour it was 1100ft and VMC. I thought in Class D the VFR mins are 500ft below the clouds and the minimum safe altitude over terrain is 1000ft so therefore it has to be 1500ft to be VMC but if I remember I don't not recall seeing anything like this in the FAR's. Unless the minimum safe altitude is 500ft at this airport because it's not as congested then that makes sense. I guess my question is what are the minimums for the ceiling in Class D for it to be VFR, does it depend on what the terrain is classified as around the airport (i.e. congested, other than congested)?
3 answers 3