Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Are omniscience and free will mutually exclusive?

- I have free will. I am given two options and I can choose freely between A and B.

- God is omniscient.

- God knows I will choose option A.

- God cannot be wrong, since an omniscient being cannot have false knowledge.

- Therefore, I will choose A and cannot choose B.

- Therefore, omniscience and free will are mutually exclusive.

Therefore, if someone 'chooses' (apparently - bleh, it's not a choice) homosexuality, and cannot choose to be straight, does that make it a) safe to say that God makes people gay and b) free will and omniscience are mutually exclusive?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

Yes.

• THOMAS
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Free will is a man made doctrine incompatible with reality. Both God and man cannot have free will. One will will give way to another. God is not this impotent spectator. He actively superintends His creation. Men have the ability to make choices. Call it free moral agency.

The Westminster Confession of Faith (1646) summarizes what the Bible teaches on will:

God hath endued the will of man with that natural liberty, that it is neither forced, nor, by any absolute necessity of nature, determined to good, or evil.[a]

[a]. James 1:13-14; Deut. 30:19; Isa. 7:11-12; Matt. 17:12; John 5:40; James 4:7

• Fuzzy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Your main question: they are mutually exclusive. If God knows all things about the future, we are living a bad rerun 4d movie. Free will cannot exists under those conditions. Quantum randomness becomes quantum non-random set in diamond hard cement.

The teaching has no Biblical origin, but is an error filled poor interpretation and shows that things haven't been studied seriously from what the scriptures really do teach.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

You're thinking of omniscience as the ability to know the future. But what if that's not what it is?

What if God, not being limited by time or space, is simultaneously present in every time, the same way he's present in every place? What if He sees your choice as you're making it? From our point of view, it would appear to be predicting the future, so it would look as if we had no choice. But from God's point of view, time (the way we experience events as one after the other, with no going backwards) is something He created, not something He is subject to.

This is the traditional view of God's omniscience going back to the very early church. If it is true (as I believe it is) then it in no way negates your freedom to make genuine choices.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Exactly right. Omniscience means no free will. QED.

Logic 1, Religion 0

• 9 years ago

God doesn't tell you to choose between homosexuality and heterosexuality. God says don't commit the act of man laying with man and woman laying with woman. A lot of men love each other, they just don't have sex with each other. You are to guard your mind and not let certain thoughts enter the mind. Once the act is committed, it is like a druggy on dope, a smoker who smokes cigarettes, or an alcoholic that can't quit drinking.

Sin is a very strong part of life. It is like a little white lie becomes a big lie and if you'll lie you will steal and if you steal you will kill. Sin increases when it is allowed to increase. What we permit increases.

• 9 years ago

I think it depends on whether there is a single timeline, or infinite branching timelines.

You could choose your own iteration of yourself's path through the tree of timelines, but the omniscient would know every outcome of every possible choice you could make from there.

It's a tricky scenario to put to word.

• 9 years ago

Predetermination renders prayer useless.

• Yes.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No, as in neither exist

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.