Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 10 years ago

Mongoose Mountain Bike?

I have a Cannondale Road bike and I am going on a trip this weekend to Mountain bike with a friend and I was wondering about Mongoose Mountain Bikes.. I found one at Walmart.com that cost $109.00 and I know that is cheap but I am in college. Does Mongoose usually make good mountain bikes?

Favorite Answer

No, and especially not for that price. Companies like Mongoose and Next tend to make bikes which aren't meant to last. Their components are cheap, their frames are heavy and weak with poor welds, and the forks (if it has suspension) bottom out easily and are often not adjustable. These bikes are disposable and simply fall apart. If you're really going mountain biking you're better off looking on craigslist for a used entry level Trek, Giant, Gary Fisher, Scott, Kona, etc. All of these make excellent entry level models which hold up for a long time. My first bike was a Trek 4100 and when I sold it (after 7 years) it was still in great condition.

Added: I work in a bike shop, and I can show you all sorts of broken axles, seized bottom brackets, seized hubs, bent derailleurs & hangers, and all sorts of other failed components from cheap bikes. Nothing new at that price is going to be a good buy.

The suggestion to rent one is certainly a good option if you don't think you'll be biking enough to justify spending lost on a quality bike. Good Luck - I hope you find something that works for you!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Mongoose Mountain Bike?

Source(s): mongoose mountain bike: https://shortly.im/K0xx4
  • corujo

Are Mongoose Bikes Good

No new bike, regardless of brand is going to be any good at that price. Mongoose does make some good bikes, but they are sold only in bke shops and they cost a lot more. Just because 2 bikes are using the same brand name does not mean they are the same level of quality. If you buy that bike, odds are pretty good that something will go wrong with it out on the trail. The suggestion that you rent a bike for the weekend is a very good one.

Mongoose makes good bikes but are are only sold in bike shops. The ones you find in department stores are low end junk. Look for a good used bike on the local ebay or Craig's list, get a hard tail bike that came from a bike shop.

Mongoose Mtb

Why yes, Missy, they do. But the good ones are not sold at Wal-Mart. Cannondales cost hundreds and even thousands of dollars, as you should know. I think you will be horribly disappointed in the low-end priced bike. Twice the weight, with none of the good ride qualities. Maybe consider renting a bike for the trip, and saving for a used or new quality ATB in the future.

Hope you have a fun trip, though. Do what you have to... 8-)

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axUMe

You only need a simple cable adjustment. There is a cable barrel adjuster right where the cable enters the derailleur. Turn it out 1/2 turn at a time and try it. Do not mess with any screws. The new bikes use Promax brakes to need to check to make sure and order the correct pads for that model.

mongooses are descent. not the best, but they are okay for the price. i wouldnt reccomend them but ehhh if you dont got enough money for a better quality bike go for it.

He comprado muchas cosas de sitios web incluso bicicletas y siempre he encontrado los productos de la mejor calidad, mi última bicicleta comprada ha sido una pequeña bicicleta para mi hija y ha sido la mejor compra, el producto es igual que en la descripción, la bicicleta se puede ajustar, es muy bonita, confortable y tiene unos ruedas pequeñitas de ayuda muy sólidos.