Dan J asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Imperfect "Perfect Games"?

Is there a list of major league games in which the _Starting Pitcher_

Retired every batter he faced,

Got the win,

but did not face _Twenty Seven_ batters?

I know that Dean Chance did it to "The Impossible Dream" 1967 Red Sox.

ALSO

When I was in my single digits (the 1950's) The Babe Ruth (Starting Pitcher) -- Ernie Shore Game was still listed as a QUOTE Perfect game END QUOTE.

And _AS FAR AS I AM CONCERNED_ Harvey Haddix did pitch a more than perfect game.

Are there any other games in that category?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

On June 3, 1995, Pedro Martínez of the Montreal Expos had a perfect game through nine innings against the San Diego Padres. The Expos scored a run in the top of the tenth inning, but in the bottom, Martínez gave up a leadoff double to Bip Roberts, and was relieved by Mel Rojas, who retired the next three batters. Martínez was therefore the winning pitcher in a 1–0 Expos victory.

On August 11, 1907, Ed Karger of the St. Louis Cardinals pitched seven perfect innings against the Boston Braves;

On October 5, 1907, Rube Vickers of the Philadelphia Athletics pitched five perfect innings against the Senators

On August 6, 1967, Dean Chance of the Minnesota Twins pitched five perfect innings against the Red Sox; game called on account of rain.

On April 21, 1984, David Palmer of the Expos pitched five perfect innings against the Cardinals; called on account of rain

On March 14, 2000, in a spring training game—by definition unofficial—the Red Sox used six pitchers to retire all 27 Toronto Blue Jays batters in a 5–0 victory.

On June 2, 2010, Armando Galarraga of the Tigers was charged with a single when Jason Donald of the Cleveland Indians was incorrectly ruled safe on an infield grounder by first-base umpire Jim Joyce.(Everyone has talk about Galarraga that answer this question)

• 1 decade ago

Harvey Haddix of the Pirates should have had a PG in 1959, but the Pirates could not score and it went to extra innings. He ended up LOSING the game in the 13th.

(Can't forget the Galarraga fiasco this past year,either)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Armando Galragga threw an "imperfect" perfect game.

• 1 decade ago

Galaragga should've but there was a contreversial call at first

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.