Ryan asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Can Adobe CS5 files be opened in CS4? CS4 files in CS5?

I am in college and will be taking a Web Design class in the Fall that uses Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.

I currently have the Adobe CS4 Master Collection on my computer and wouldn't mind upgrading to CS5, but I'm not sure whether the computers at my school have had CS5 installed yet.

If I upgraded to CS5 and the computers at my school still had CS4, would the CS5 files also be able to open in CS4 at my school? Or would I have to do everything on my computer only?

What about the other way around... CS4 opening in CS5? I have done web pages and other content with CS4 over the past year. Thanks.

• Tanja
    Favorite Answer

Opening CS4 files in CS5 shouldn't pose any problems.

To go the other way you need to export your InDesign CS5 file in idml format which you can then open in CS4 (File>Export and select idml format).

Illustrator should have a earlier version in its file listing and Photoshop saved with maximum compatibility turned on should open also.

CS4 files should have no problem opening with CS5

CS5 files may have problems, but should run in compatibility mode opening with CS4