My daughter says I look "mean" and intimidate the guys she brings home; what can she be referring to?

I'm your average, 6' 1", 220#, tattoo-covered teddy bear of a guy, and I am always courteous when I open the door in my wifebeater, and, holding my can of beer, greet them. I don't understand what she thinks I can possibly be doing that is intimidating them. I always inquire as to their intended... show more I'm your average, 6' 1", 220#, tattoo-covered teddy bear of a guy, and I am always courteous when I open the door in my wifebeater, and, holding my can of beer, greet them. I don't understand what she thinks I can possibly be doing that is intimidating them.

I always inquire as to their intended college of choice, and share about my four productive years at the California Institution for Men, Chino; I enjoy telling them how I majored in pipe-fitting, and had the best crew of guys working under me. I ask about their dreams, if they want to be doctors, lawyers or whatever, and always tell about my dreams of getting through just one anger management class without having the police called on me. I like to put people at their ease, you see.

They tell me about their hobbies, such as collecting the latest songs on their iPods, and I proudly show my vast street-gun collection. If there is time before the lad and my daughter go on their date, I show how much I can bench-press, usually following with a mirthful anecdote about how easily it would be for me to, say, pummel a side of beef and make it steak tartare. Being polite, of course, I ask if they like steak tartare, and are at all squeamish about all of the blood.

As you can see, I am a proper gentleman, and do not understand how it could be that my daughter possibly thinks I am intimidating the guys she brings around. She has tried to get past bringing them by, but my wife and I insist on meeting any fellows before she dates. Funny thing, but she has a lot of first dates, but no second ones. Is it possible she can be sending out some vibe that puts them off? She is a beautiful and clever young lady, so I do not understand.

Any advice?