Uh-oh...my water broke!?

No it didn't. I'm not pregnant...yet. But what is this 'water' that they're talking about and why does it break when you're about to go in labor?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Bag of waters is another name for the amniotic sac, which is full of fluid that protects the baby. When the amniotic sac ruptures (your "water breaks"), the amniotic fluid flows out. Many times the water breaks shortly before labor begins. However, in most cases membranes are ruptured after the woman goes to the hospital and she is in labor.

When your water breaks, you may feel a gush of fluid, followed by slow leaking, or you may just feel a slow leaking, without the gush of fluid. A sanitary pad helps absorb the slow leaking so you are not embarrassed by it. Contact your doctor as soon as your water breaks. You may be told to go to the hospital if labor is beginning. If you are not near term, you may be asked to go to your doctor's office for an examination. You may not be ready to deliver your baby yet, and your doctor wants to prevent you from getting an infection. The risk of infection increases when your water breaks.

Despite what you may hear about a woman's water breaking when she is in public, it doesn't happen very often. If it happens to you, people will be very understanding and helpful. At that stage your pregnancy is very obvious!

• 9 years ago

To put it in simple terms, imagine an egg, yes a chicken's egg, the baby and the amniotic fluid is equivalent to the egg yolk and the egg white in a chicken's egg. Except for the hard outer shell, it is basically the same as a woman's womb, instead of a hard outer shell like the chicken's egg, a woman has a sac-like outer skin much like a plastic balloon that holds the the baby and the amniotic fluid the baby floats in. When the outer bag or sac ruptures during labor, the amniotic fluid leaks out, just like the egg white would if there is a break in the egg shell. Once that happens, the baby must be taken out, hence the birth of the baby.

• 9 years ago

Bag of waters is another name for the amniotic sac, which is full of fluid that protects the baby. When the amniotic sac ruptures (your "water breaks"), the amniotic fluid flows out. Many times the water breaks shortly before labor begins. However, in most cases membranes are ruptured after the woman goes to the hospital and she is in labor.

When your water breaks, you may feel a gush of fluid, followed by slow leaking, or you may just feel a slow leaking, without the gush of fluid. A sanitary pad helps absorb the slow leaking so you are not embarrassed by it. Contact your doctor as soon as your water breaks. You may be told to go to the hospital if labor is beginning. If you are not near term, you may be asked to go to your doctor's office for an examination. You may not be ready to deliver your baby yet, and your doctor wants to prevent you from getting an infection. The risk of infection increases when your water breaks.

Despite what you may hear about a woman's water breaking when she is in public, it doesn't happen very often. If it happens to you, people will be very understanding and helpful. At that stage your pregnancy is very obvious!

Source(s): the answer before me
  • 9 years ago

I was watching tv when I was pregnant with my 2nd son. It didn't gush out....it trickled! The amniotic fluid is what's coming out. Sometimes it happens before the baby is coming out. The doctor sometimes has to break your bag of water to start labor or advance the labor process. My 1st son they broke it on the table. This fluid is what protects the baby inside you. They live in it for 9 months. Once that bag is broken, here comes the rush of labor pains like you wouldn't believe. OUCH! That baby is ready to come out into the world! You're body goes through uncontrollable spasms and pains and stretching & separating of your hip bones to get the baby out of you. It's amazing what your body can tolerate during the birthing experience. And most people do it over and over again. We're glutens for punishment! Thank God your brain forgets the actual pains. You don't forget the experience. You do remember how much pain you've gone through though. Thanks for making me rehash this blessed moment in my life.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • bobby
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

When you are pregnant, as your baby grows and develops during pregnancy, it lives in a sac of water in your uterus until it is time for labor to begin, yes, I know it is hard to believe, but your baby breathes the oxygen out of the water like a fish during pregnancy until the sac breaks during labor. The reason it breaks is the pressure that is created on the sac as your baby prepares to pass through the birth canal, and it breaks.

Source(s): My wife's gynocologist told me this, we have 3 children and I wondered the same thing, so I asked.
  • ~ E ~
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

It's the sac of fluid that protects the baby.The baby burst through it and comes out of it when you go into labor.Kind of like a chicken in a egg

• 9 years ago

It means that the baby is ready to be born; and the amniotic sac is no longer needed to nurture the baby.

• Cheryl
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

hi, id call the doctor just to check, sounds like ur waters did break? gud luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.