? asked in TravelUnited StatesSan Francisco · 10 years ago

Where is the best place to live in Northern California?

I live in Chicago, and my daughter is 15yrs. old & my son is 14yrs. old. I want to move to a nice city in Northern California to raise my teenagers. I don't want it to be to expensive. If anyone have any suggestion please let me know.

Favorite Answer

I'm a teenager myself and I would say Redwood City, Menlo Park area. You can find cheep housing and the schools around here are great. Many private schools to choose from like St. Francis in Mountain View to Notre Dame and Serra in Belmont & San Mateo. And some amazing public schools like Woodside, Menlo-Atherton, Carlmont and Sequoia. I definitely suggest this area from a teenagers point of view. Plus with the public schools all of your child's friends would be in the same area. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask me.

Well it depends on how big a town you want and what you want to be near. Away from the S.F. bay area, there are hundreds of farm towns that are cheap to live in. If you want a less expensive city than the Bay Area, you have to go north of Santa Rosa. If you go inland, I would say Redding, Red Bluff or Chico. Along the north coast would be Eureka or Crescent City. In the Sacramento valley, I would say Yuba City, Lincoln or Davis. In the San Joaquin valley try Visalia, Fresno or Merced. On the central coast, maybe Santa Maria or Paso Robles.

Santa Rosa or Rohnert Park. They are both in wine country in Sonoma county, and pretty cheap. There are lots of good schools plus a junior college & a university (Sonoma State). Weather there is great and it's really beautiful

Source(s): Lived there for a year

My boss lives in Vacaville. She used to live in SF but wanted a cheaper and better place to raise her kids. She likes the school system there a lot.