Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 decade ago

Does dancing help overcome shyness?

I’m a shy 24 year old guy and always have been shy all my life. I’ve decided to go for Latin and ballroom dance lessons because I heard it helps you gain confidence. I’ve been going for 2 months and am still learning, but even though I’m starting to be a tad more comfortable dancing with girls, I still feel shy. Maybe it just takes time, I don’t know.

For those that go for Latin/Ballroom dance lessons, did dancing help you overcome your shyness? If so, how long did it take before you finally started opening up?

Favorite Answer

I do not take Latin/Ballroom dance lessons, but I do take Pointe, Ballet, Tap, Jazz, and Hip-Hop and I have been dancing for the past 5 years.

I was EXTREMELY shy when I began dance, but now, I am sooooooooooooo out going and I talk to everyone in class and it is all because of dance!

It took me 5 years to become out going, but others are different. Just have fun and do not worry!

Happy Dancing!

Source(s): I am going in to my 6th year of dance this fall

YES! I used to be very shy and reserved before I started dancing. Now I can pretty much keep up a conversation with anyone, and I'm not afraid to! I decided it was time to come out of my shell, so I just started talking to all the other girls in my dance classes and made a ton of friends. Dance is definitely something that can help you with not only your shyness, but also your self-confidence. It feels great to be on stage and it's wonderful that as a 24 year old guy, you're not afraid to get up and dance!

Source(s): dancer

I began doing competetive jazz and musical theater dances four days a week and my confidence upped itself probably at least 300%. Good luck!

Eliminate Social Anxiety Shyness - http://SocialAnxiety.uzaev.com/?uMQr

i was pretty shy before i started dancing and it definitely helped me, its unbelievable to even think about, but anyways it took like 2 years for me, but i guess it depends. I would say maybe a year before you fully develop your confidence.

Source(s): danced for 10 years

Anxiety disorders are the most common mental health problem in the U.S., affecting about one out of five people at any given time. There are many safe nondrug remedies for anxiety. Read here https://tr.im/ESnoR

Anxiety can take many forms — generalized anxiety disorder (constant worrying about everyday things), obsessive-compulsive disorder or OCD, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and social anxiety disorder.

oh yeeesss it deffffff helpss! becuz once u start getting into dancing and take it further and get on stages, perform in front of people, etc etc youll get over confidence!