Can a 4 month old eat peanut butter?

My son was sitting in my lap the other day while I was eating a peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwich and grabbed some of the peanut butter to eat. I let him eat it thinking it was no harm. Then he kept begging and reaching for more. Now whenever he's in my lap and I'm eating my sandwich he wants some. I have been giving him some of the peanut butter since it's not crunchy. In my opinion I think the honey helps to smooth it out a little more. Yesterday evening he sort of gagged a little but nothing too major. I need to know if this peanut butter and honey is good for him.

Update:

Thank you kenleighs mommy, for your concern of me trolling. If it weren't for people like you we might actually have all real answers on these boards without all the "trolling" comments. If you're so interested in the honey, I always add it to my peanut butter. It's very tasty but I'm sure someone so bitter like yourself wouldn't understand that.

I am truly interested in all help because raising a child alone is not easy. Knowing what is and isn't good for a child is difficult for a man with little education in such an area.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

All of you are overreacting. Its not like Norm is feeding his kid gallons of honey. Its just a little bit thats been cut with peanut butter. "Honey is bad for infants" is just a bunch of crazy mumbo jumbo like vaccines causing autism. Get a grip! I say let your poor son eat honey! Just be sure not to overdo it.

Source(s): You're welcome.
  • jlb
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Most 4 month olds shouldn't be eating solids in the 1st place, but to answer your question, both honey and peanut butter are big no nos until after baby is a year old. Honey can cause infant botulism, and peanuts are very allergenic. At 4 months old your son should not be eating common allergens. I love a good peanut butter and honey sandwich too, but keep it away from baby.

• 10 years ago

At 4 months, honey and peanut butter are not recommended at all for a baby. The chances of danger are low, but when it does strike, the recourse is awful. Try to not eat your sandwich in front of the baby. In a few short months you can start to re-introduce these things, but 4 months is too young. Keep in mind that in the body, peanut butter can form some really big clumps that are hard to digest, in a baby, you are looking at painful constipation.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Either you live under a rock or a bridge. No babies can have honey or peanut butter, that is insane to even let a baby that young try it.

That being said, I think you are a troll too, really, these are your other questions....

Can a 4 month old eat peanut butter?

In Newborn & Baby - Asked by Norm Hayess - 10 answers - 24 minutes ago - Open

Are there and genetic differences in black and white people?

In Other - Cultures & Groups - Asked by Norm Hayess - 11 answers - 4 hours ago - Open

Why do people believe that everything in the present day world evolved from a single cell?

In Biology - Asked by Norm Hayess - 4 answers - 5 hours ago - Open

If Brad Pitt were to lean in to give me a kiss and I didn’t turn away, would that mean I have homo tendencies?

In Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered - Asked by Norm Hayess - 11 answers - 23 hours ago - Open

Why do so many people think that homosexuals are born that way?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Blue
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Babies under 1 are not supposed to have raw honey due to the risk of botulism. As far as the peanut butter, obviously your baby does not have an allergy. Usually, you should wait until 1 year of age for peanut butter, too.

• Honey causes botulism which can paralyze the babys face. As for peanut butter, it's a big no no for babies that young, they can have an allergic reaction and die before you can get help.

• ?
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Short answer, no. And he can't have honey at all until after a year old. At 4 months, he should just be barely trying eating rice cereal designed for babies, and it's even early for that. Exposing babies to adult food too early can really screw up their digestion.

• Pippin
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

No, a 4 month old should eat NOTHING but breastmilk or formula.

Honey in particualr is the only food that baby shouldn't have at all before a year old -- infants can get botulaism from honey.

• 10 years ago

this story might have been believable if you had not added the honey into the "mix"

troll....everyone knows peanut butter and honey are no nos....but im sure you will still get some "bites" from people.

EDIT: so now im bitter because you ask not only about giving a 4 month old peanut butter, but also about honey? are you kidding me??? even people who dont have kids know that is not okay! maybe if i had actually believed that someone would have not known this i wouldnt have accused you of being a troll.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Absolutely NOOOOO honey or nuts for a baby that young!!!!!! Aside from risking botulism (which can be fatal), you may induce your son to have a nut allergy!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.