Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 10 years ago

If I never play high school baseball can I make it in College ball?

I am a pitcher currently going into the 11th grade. I got cut my first 2 years because I couldn't hit the first day. However this year the coach did not even look at me when I was told to get on the mound. At tryouts I was pitching low to mid 70's. Now I am pitching low 80's with good accuracy and a great curveball. The best pitcher that made the team this year pitches 83 mph. I'm afraid since I got cut the first two years I will not even be looked at for anything. Hopefully I do because this is my life. I play everyday and strive to be better than anyone in the high school but even if I prove it, it may not matter. If I develop around a 90 mph fastball past my senior year will colleges look at me for walk ons? Plus I am very small for being a pitcher only 5'7 133 lbs. Please no sarcastic remarks. Thanks.

Well I have good accuracy with 4 pitches. Now I can hit with a lot of power so...

Thank you so much. I want this more than anyone in my freaking school. I have more motivation than anyone I know. I am just praying my high school coach recognizes me next year because I am freaking out everyday about not making the team this past year.

Slappy you are the one that needs to be quiet. The average high school varsity speed is mid 70's. I am not lying. I said no sarcastic remarks.

Favorite Answer

In short: YES. I will now tell you why.

When I played my first two years of high school ball, the coaches all thought that I couldn't hit. I was a great outfielder and could pitch great though, so I was always in the lineup, even though they had the DH take MY spot instead of the pitchers. As a result, my freshman and sophomore years, I got a total of 18 at bats despite only not playing in 6 innings.

Junior year saw me getting 6 at bats. I was primarily a relief pitcher. During this time I developed my pitching repertoire, and had a mid-80's fastball, a curve that broke about 3 feet, and a splitter that was getting better and better. When I was looking into colleges after my junior year, I was basically offered a starting pitchers slot for a low-level D1 school, and extreme interests from other colleges I got into to play.

I ended up going to a different school because I know my chances of doing anything beyond college ball were slim and wanted to focus on my academics.

It really all depends on where you want to go. I will tell you that your best chances right now are to go to a smaller D1 school or go to a D2 school and develop your abilities there. You can always transfer later after you have interest from other colleges.

I really wish I had pursued my baseball career even though I know I probably made the smart choice. I applaud you for trying to continue your career and wish you all the best. Good luck!

Source(s): Personal experience.

Just know going in that it WILL be difficult. I attempted the same thing as a catcher and played a total of 8 games (2 starts because of an injury). A catcher is a hotter commodity than a pitcher (no offense) unfortunately so don't go in with high hopes but at the same time don't go in expecting to fail. As a junior now in high school you have 2 seasons to show your coach what you can do which is really your biggest advantage.

Here's what i would do (and did):

-talk to you assistant coach (if you have one) about your concerns. If you make the team it means they aren't doing you a favor and you have something they like.

-think about taking up a different position. Not switching positions completely but just try to be somewhat of a utility guy. More positions=more opportunity (Mark DeRosa for example). I'd suggest middle infield (SS, 2B) or the outfield

-finish out the summer working on your cardio, agility BUNTING, and hitting. A fast runner who puts the bat on the ball at the very least is very useful player in designated runner or pinch runner/hitter and defense. If you know someone reliable who plays football (possibly a running back or cornerback/safety) and ask him to show you agility drills that he does (very useful). Learn to love pepper and wall ball

- With your size (5'7 buck 33) try not to focus on velocity so much and work on movement on your pitches. Learn to become a finesse pitcher (Greg Maddux, Mike Mussina, Tom Glavine, Roy Halladay etc.) Everyone that looks like him wants to be Tim Lincecum. A high 90's fastball and sick high 80's breaking ball is going to destroy your arm. He's already beginning to loose velocity and movement in his pitches after 4 years pro. With your size if you wanna be a pitcher you wanna be the workhorse who can pitch in every inning of every game without losing the quality of your stuff so learn to love long toss (with both a baseball and a football to build arm strength) and icing your arm afterward so you don't create future arm issues (this is the mistake I made that kinda screwed me). Develop a good change up and be able to locate it. You'll need more than a fastball and curveball to be successful.

-Sorry about the book but here's the most important. When you get to college, concentrate on the education. Make sure you do the work and get good grades. College is the necessity but playing ball is a privilege. You don't get the grades you don't get the uniform dude. Watch the movie Rudy (if you haven't seen it). That movie is all about your situation just it's a football flick.

Just remember NEVER GIVE UP. The more heart you show the more interested the coaches and scouts will want to see what your all about. Be annoying to the coaches, ask questions about the game. That shows your interest in the game and you wanna know everything.

I hope everything works out for ya man I really do. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who has or will travel down the same road I did. Make your dreams come true dude it's all on you. So when you think your at your limit, push yourself just a little bit farther and show EVERYONE what giving 120% is really about.

See ya in the Show sometime Rook. Make your dreams come true!

Anyone who is enrolled in the school is eligible to play sports given their academics are in order. There is no rule stating that a person has to have played high school ball.

Go watch the "Rookie" starring Dennis Quaid. You may find your motivation. Then, find a Jr. College with a good pitching program. You may find your answer. Good Luck!

it depends on how good at you are