How do I keep my cats off of the internet?

I live alone with my three maine coon cats. My laptop never leaves my home office. For some reason, I see many adult website links in my web browser history. Again, it is just me and my cats at my house. I am a god fearing man, I would never visit such sites. It has to be the cats. I knew cats were smart, but not this crafty. I need to figure out how to keep my cats off of the internet. Are there any tools or firewall systems I can use? It is really frustrating.

Favorite Answer

I had the same problem with my cats downloading kitty porn while I was out. The is a 12 step intervention process like alcoholics anonymous. Also providing social outings, introducing your cats to friends their age might eliminate their obsession with internet porn. There was a program that detected when a cat was at the keyboard. Since cats have wide paws, they will press multiple keys at once. A computer with this program would bark at the cat. Microsoft's website might still have the program under shareware.

A determined cat will never be kept off the counters. You can try pretty much every method anyone suggests and if a cat wants to be on a counter, they will go there. They're naturally curious and don't like to be told where they can't go. I think it makes them all the more determined. I gave up the battle of the counters years ago and my cats and I have all been much happier since. Make sure that nothing toxic is left out and that food items are stored in containers they can't get into. Keep antibacterial wipes or spray handy and give the counters a quick wipe down before using them. If they try to jump up while you're working with food, pick them up and place them on the floor. With time, patience and persistence they'll eventually learn that they're not welcome on the counters when you're working in the kitchen. It was my experience that the cats really didn't get on the counters too much once they were no longer off limits. Mine pretty much only jump on them on the way to the top of the refrigerator or cabinets to sleep. The kittens will eventually calm a little and won't be as interested. Hang in there, it will get better. I have six myself and am quite thankful that they're all beyond the kitten stage.

Well if it is your cats...just unplug the computer mouse and hide it. No mouse - no interest for a cat! They may be smart enough to find where you hid it...but do not have the dexterity to plug it in unless they are the polydactyl version of a Maine Coon and have thumbs :)) Seriously though if you geniunily feel adult web sites are visited without your knowledge it could be viral/malware, redirectors, information theft, or a number of bad things going on behind the scenes. Since you see them in your browser history....just go to the Tools-Internet Options-Privacey-Sites section of your browser(s) and type in the url's that you want blocked and keep your browser closed when you are not there and use a password word to launch your browser.

The first thing to do is confront your cats. Schedule a sit down intervention and discuss the negative reprecussions of their actions. They may not know that this is unacceptable. At a minimum the conversation will open the communication channel betwenn you and your cats. I would also suggest that install passwords on your computers. While some cats are quite clever, most can rarely hack a 10 character password.

You know, cats are like that. They get awful curious and, lately, I've heard that even the internet is not safe from their insatiable curiousity. Put some sticky stuff on the keyboard (wipe it off before you use it), they don't like goo on their paws. Cats like to be clean.

Haha sorry are you serious!!

Cats cannot use a laptop let alone watch porn, its gotta either be you or someone else but definitely not the cats hahaha

if this is harsh then mark me down, but it is true

Well since you are a god trusting man you should be aware of the thing called "Ghosts.. There could be other creatures too.. like the half men-half horsed creatures, demons.. they are using your laptop.. You should move in my opinion.. oh and don't forget your cats.

Well Your cats obviously need some new friends (: and I also think that you should block those sites. where do they get these sites from?!! lol jk! haha this is really funny (:

Ok well, this made my day. Are you sure your cats are the only things in the house? i mean goldfish are pretty dirty little things

You must ensure that they are all neutered, they will then only go to sites relating to mice and other interesting foods!