Trinidad citizenship?

my father was born in Trinidad and is a citizen of trinidad and in the us he has born in Trinidad i heard that i can apply for citizenship in Trinidad since my father was born and is citizen of Trinidad and how would i go about doing it

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You may already be one. All you need do is apply!

The following persons enjoy dual citizenship:

1.Every person who was born outside of Trinidad and Tobago and was on August 31st, 1962 a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies, became a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago by descent on Independence Day, if her/his father became a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago by birth on August 31st, 1962 or would have but for her/his death. For the purposes of the above, mother is construed to mean Father in case of birth outside of marriage.

2.Every person born outside of Trinidad and Tobago after August 31st, 1962 to a mother or father who was at the time of that person's birth a citizen of Trinidad & Tobago (other than by descent), is a citizen of Trinidad & Tobago by descent.

3.The child of a citizen of Trinidad & Tobago by descent may be registered as a citizen of Trinidad & Tobago by the parent before her/his eighteenth birthday or by the child within one year after her/his eighteenth birthday.

4.When a court in Trinidad & Tobago makes an adoption order in respect of a minor who is not a citizen of Trinidad & Tobago, that child automatically becomes a citizen of Trinidad & Tobago, if the adopter or in the case of a joint adoption, either adopter, is a citizen of Trinidad & Tobago.

5.In the case where a parent becomes a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago subsequent to the birth of a child born outside of Trinidad & Tobago, that child upon application by the parent, may be registered as a citizen of Trinidad and Tobago.This child must make a decision about her/his other citizenship within one year of her/his eighteenth birthday.

6.Effective July 29th, 1988, citizens of Trinidad & Tobago by birth or descent who acquire citizenship of another country no longer lose their citizenship by reason only of such acquisition. Those who prior to July 29th, 1988 lost their Trinidad & Tobago citizenship by voluntary acquisition of another citizenship, may make an application to the Minister of National Security on the prescribed form to have Trinidad & Tobago citizenship restored. (These persons, however, should check with the relevant authority of that other country to determine if citizenship loss will occur upon restorarion of Trinidad and Tobago citizenship.)

7.Citizens of Trinidad & Tobago by birth may also hold another citizenship in cases of

a.descent and

b.when automatic citizenship is granted upon marriage to a foreign national.

• 4 years ago

can they keep properties in Trinidad if they have dual citizenship

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

contact the trinidad consulate

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.