If society encouraged unhappy folk to commit legalized assisted suicide on demand, wouldn't all alive be happy?
If society encouraged unhappy folk to commit legalized assisted suicide on demand, wouldn't all alive be happy
A lot of people hate the society and world they are born into. But society says nothing will ever change because of human nature. So lets accept that libertarian free will etc.
Its a crime that we have a society that makes people want to commit suicide, but then we put barriers towards carrying out leading 80% of suicides to fail!
In urban areas it is hard to legally acquire guns and even if you go out-of-state, with no handgun experience the chance of failure is high. The only other option is jumping on train tracks which has a uncertain outcome. Failed suicides lead to serious injuries and one only gets one chance.
There is much about this current society that certain people might object to and not want to live in. But the worst criticism is that it does not provide easy access to suicide. Run the world how you want, but at least let those who don't like it to leave, don't make the world a prison.
So why not legalize assisted suicide on demand, not just for the ill but for all adults. A reasonable waiting period of 1-year would prevent impulsive decisions.
Legalized suicide could either be carried out by the state, after all if murders have the right to execution why not law-abiding citizens? Or carried out by regulated private enterprises. The only risk is that this could be used for murder. But far less risk than with guns or toxics that are now legal. And with the paper-trail and waiting period this would be the stupidest way to murder someone.
Isn't his all that is needed for utopia? Just de-stigmatize and availibilize suicide and all left alive will be by definition those who think their lives are worth living.
Yeah some people might make the wrong choice. But we americans LOVE individualism and personal choice and responsibility so much, so we have to let people make bad choices and suffer the consequences. Thats the price of freedom. Especially where it does not harm anyone. Emotional harm? A boss firing you emotionally harms you, as do plenty of other legal activities.
So lets say we have Futurama suicide booths. Whats the end result? Anyone unhappy does not have to live, and all those alive at least subjectively believe themselves to be happy.
- Anonymous1 decade agoFavorite Answer
man. you're sure going on and on...and ON...about suicide. I couldn't even bother to read all of it.
I guess you've never just UP AND LEFT to explore Europe for a month...or ANYWHERE as far as that goes.
You must still be a teenager living at home with your parents. I can't think of any other rational explanation.
- alien3starrLv 51 decade ago
There are sooooooooo many things wrong with this argument.
1. Most people who are unhappy are not suicidal, and those who are suicidal are not suicidal because of society. They usually become suicidal because they have major depression which is a treatable medical condition. Once this condition is treated most people discover that they want to live.
2. Everyone is unhappy some of the time, and this is NOT A BAD THING. If sadness and anger didn't exist then happiness also wouldn't exist. Happiness wouldn't mean anything if we didn't feel sad some of the time. Unhappiness is necessary for people to make positive changes to their lives. If we didn't become sad that people died, then vaccines and other medical technologies wouldn't have been invented.
3. Suicide does a hell of a lot of emotional harm to the people who knew the victim. A crappy boss doesn't even compare. It's much worse than losing someone you love to old age.
4. "There is much about this current society that certain people might object to and not want to live in." This is a good thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If people were always happy or content in society then society would never change. The civil rights movement never would have happened if people stayed happy all the time. The life you suggest (killing all unhappy people) sounds like a dictatorship, and does not give anyone the freedom to change society.
5. The practice of suicide could be manipulated by the government for political reasons. And murder like you suggested. That alone is reason enough not to do it.
- JeanLv 45 years ago
????? Since everyone experiences both emotions, your proposal would son lead to everyone committing suicide. Hardly anyone hates the society and world they are born into. Most love some things, hate others. Society HAS changed; it's always changing. Let's accept what? Uh, most people who want to commit suicide have temporary or treatable problems they don't know what to do about. Once saved and helped, they're grateful for having been saved. Instead of merely having a waiting period, why not help the people who request it, so they can live happily? It's not true that every unhappy person wants to die; nor that everyone who doesn't want to die is happy. People who (think they) want to die don't feel that way because they hate the society or world they're born into, either. Many who hate particular things work to make things better. Just about everything you're basing this on is false.
- HDLv 71 decade ago
Kurt Vonnegut Jr. wrote a short story about suicide parlors a long time ago. In his story people were still unhappy. It is part of the human condition.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- QuiteNewHereLv 71 decade ago
I appreciate your question
because you based it on the principles of free will
However the answer is sticky
We all have vested interests in the lives of others
so even if these people hate their lives , our lives would be empty without them
if we love them deeply and care for them
These peoples lives therefore are essential to our happiness
along that thought
people who dislike their lives exists for the sole purpose of making those who love them feel happy and in that sense- the god who created us all make them continue to exist because HE loves these people who loves them
- NiamhLv 71 decade ago
Most unhappy people do not want to die.
I had to laugh when you say that we can subjectively believe we are happy just because we do not want to die...uh?
- 1 decade ago
no, all those who assisted would eventually feel guilt for what they've done and be sad, and if not then they're just jerks who should die anyway
- 1 decade ago