I have gotten the original Sid Meier Civilization game, but it won't work with my version of Windows. HELP!?

I bought the original Sid Meier's Civilization. How do I get it to work on my laptop?

I bought the original Civilization game on ebay. The cd-rom version. This game is 18 years old or so. When I put the game in my laptop, it says that it is not compatible with my version of Windows (XP). Is there anyway that I can play the game? I used to love playing this game back in the day. I had it on floppy disc. :)

Favorite Answer

Try running it in compatibility mode for an older version of Windows (explore the CD, don't run it, then right click on the installer file (should have "autorun" or "setup" in the filename), click properties, go to the Compatibility tab, then click "run this program in compatibility mode for..." and then choose the OS from the drop menu.

If that doesn't work, use a program like Sun Virtualbox or VMware Workstation to virtually install whatever version of Windows that the original Civilization game was intended to be played on (you will need an old Windows installation disc or .ISO file), and then install Civilization in that virtual OS installation. Virtualbox and VMware basically allow you to install and then use an operating system within an operating system, so you could boot up XP, then install an old version of Windows and have that running in XP so that you could play Civilization while still using your current OS at the same time.

Hope this helps.

The original Civ was dos wasnt it?

Try running it through dosbox

http://www.dosbox.com/

If you cant get dosbox working, try using a frontend for it:

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxFrontends