Sea tour rotation 36 months what does this means?!?

The more I research the more I can't seem to trust my recruiter. He's told me in a period of 2 years at most I can only be deployed oversea 6 months at a time. This means out of my 6 years I can only be deployed 3 times and 6 months at a time, if at all. My rate will be intelligence specialist. I CAN NOT do 36 months at a time and 36 months on shore duty.

Sea/Shore Rotation for This Rating

First Sea Tour: 36 months

First Shore Tour: 36 months

Second Sea Tour: 36months

Second Shore Tour:48 months

Third Sea Tour: 36 months

Third Shore Tour: 36 months

Fourth Sea Tour: 36 months

Forth Shore Tour: 48 months

Note: Sea tours and shore tours for sailors that have completed four sea tours will be 36 months at sea followed by 36 months ashore until retirement.

What does that mean?

Favorite Answer

First Sea Tour: You are assigned to a ship (for example USS STUMP) for 3 years. You have a rack on the ship and that is where you live for your first 3 years. Where the ship goes...you go. The ship may be in port, in the ship yards, or on a cruise, but USS STUMP is where you go to work every morning for your first sea tour. Cruises can be as long as 8 months. Plus you have many shorter training periods at sea.

First Shore Tour: You have finished your first 3 years of sea duty. You are assigned to shore duty at a base or command that does not go to sea (for example NSAWC at Fallon, NV). Your workday is pretty much 9-5 except for duty. Athe the end of 36 months you go back to sea like in you first sea tour but likely a different ship.

Also as an IS you should be aware of the Individual Augmentee Program. At any time in your career you can be ordered to deploy for a year or more to combat zones with Army units. On any given day there are 9000 Sailors serving with Army units in Afghanistan and Iraq as I/As.

• Coasty

What this means is that you will be assigned to shipboard duty for a period of 36 months after you finish your schooling. If you ship is deployed to a West-pac or Indian Ocean patrol then you will be gone a minimum of 6 months and maybe as much as 11 months before your ship is rotated to its homeport for refit and resupply. Med cruses and Atlantic patrols are six months on average however in emergency ships from the Atlantic command can be transfered to the start of a West-pac or IO deployment that starts the day they are ordered to the theater of operations. This could be half way through the last month of a Med cruse. The only thing you are guaranteed is one hour of sleep and one hot meal a day! And they cheat on that hot meal cause if it was hot when prepared then that is good enough. Navy Chow is usually better than Army or Air Force! Many Navy Ships do not spend more than 90 days at sea per year. Although Carrier battle groups tend to spend a lot more like 250 days per year at sea.