My asylum case is on immigration court , If get marriy usa Citizen now then why should i go to court?

4 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Because if you don't go to court, they'll think you've decided to run and they'll order you deported in absentia. And that will really mess up any effort to adjust status based on a petition filed by your spouse. You don't get status automatically just because you'll married an American, you still have to file all the immigration papers and submit them, the I-130, the I-485 etc.

  • Greg N
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    The process for legalization after marriage to a citizen and the process for asylum are two different things. One doesn't necessarily affect the outcome of the other in any statutory way, although the other case may present mitigating factors where discretion is involved.

    Also the immigration court may see your marriage as an attempt to circumvent any negative outcome from the asylum case. That can actually hurt you.

    You may want to consult an immigration attorney if you have not already.

  • 1 decade ago

    Because marriage to a citizen won't automatically fix your status in the country, if anything the fact that you were an asylum seeker who married a citizen & didn't bother to pursue your case will set off alarm bells.

    You will still need to jump through legal hoops as the spouse of a US citizen to prove you married this person because you loved not because you thought you had a weak case for asylum & were looking for an easier way to stay in the US.

    If you attempt to fix your status in your right rather then relying on your spouse it may strengthen your relationship with your spouse as they won't have so many doubts about why you married them.

  • 1 decade ago

    From what i know you have to be married for three years now before you are declared a citizen. Just do what most Americans had to do, come here and actually work for your freedom!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.