What is the most effective headache medicine?

I've always just used Ibuprofen, but now it seems like it doesn't help with my headaches.

What brands do you find most effective?

Oh, and I have a blood disorder so aspirin is definitely out.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Excedrin Migraine works good for me, and I also take Naproxen which is a generic for Aleve.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Aspirin is the drug of choice for common headaches. But even with aspirin, you must be careful. Taking too much can cause gastro-intestinal bleeding and other serious complications.

Other over-the-counter medications include Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID’s) such as ibuprofen, ketoprofen, and naproxen. All have similar side effects.

Then there is this huge risk of getting addicted to these drugs. If you respond to a certain type of medication and you are fearful of getting a headache, you might take the drug to ward off the attack.

Natural and alternative therapies can be used to help manage headaches safely, without the risk of addiction. Herbal and homeopathic remedies can offer an effective natural solution and can be of assistance in alleviating the painful and discomforting symptoms of a headache.

Homeopathic remedies like China, Nux vom, Chamomilla, Kali phos & Mag phos:

* Relieve acute headaches associated with stress, tension and fatigue

* Alleviate a ‘heavy’ feeling in the head

* Reduce common pounding sensations

* Support blood circulation and oxygenation for brain and nervous system health

* Are generally safe for all ages, including pregnant women or those who may be breastfeeding

* Suit those who have sudden and acute head pain that improves from applying firm pressure to the painful area but are worse with light touch, such as combing the hair

* Can be used to address head pain that may be brought on by anger and irritability or overindulgence of certain foods, alcohol, and coffee.

* Help to calm and uplift the spirit and soothe common nervous tension and everyday stress

* Can be used as a natural anti-spasmodic and a nerve and muscle relaxant and is also frequently recommended for stress headaches

• 4 years ago

We found no guidelines or studies detailing the prevalence of both unilateral headache and vertigo in adolescent patients. However, we did locate an epidemiological study of acute recurrent headaches in children which reported: “PATIENTS AND METHODS: Information on epidemiological and clinical characteristics, physical examination and complementary examinations, if performed, was collected from the medical records of 225 children with acute recurrent headache…” “RESULTS: A total of 98.2 % of the patients had primary headache: migraine (48.9 %), tension-type headache (48.4 %) and mixed (0.9 %). Thirty percent of those with migraine had migraine with aura. The mean age at onset was 8.6 6 2.9 years in migraine and 9.7 6 2.5 years in tension-type headache (p < 0.05), with no differences between sexes. Children with tension-type headache showed a greater prevalence (p < 0.05) of female sex, urban origin and excellent academic performance. Children with migraine had a greater prevalence (p < 0.05) of positive family history. Migraine headaches were unilateral (44.1 %) or bilateral (55.9 %), pulsating (77.1 %), aggravated by physical activity (68.8 %), caused lost days at school (65.3 %) and were usually accompanied by vomiting (71 %) and photophobia/sonophobia (67 %).” [1] We are not in the position to give a likely diagnosis. Given we do not know how long the patient has been suffering with these symptoms, how long the symptoms last, the order in which they appear, whether both are always present, part of the brain involved i.e. temporal , occipital etc we can only thus recommend discussing this case with a neurologist. However, we did search the TRIP and Medline databases using the terms ‘unilateral headache’ and ‘vertigo’ which lead us to various articles on migraine which may be of relevance. An e-Medicine article on migraine headache in children notes: “Young patients with migraine (5-10 y) experience bilateral frontal, bilateral temporal, or retro-orbital headache; nausea; abdominal cramping; vomiting; photophobia; phonophobia; and a need to sleep. They usually are asleep within 1 hour of attack onset. The most common accompanying symptoms include pallor with dark circles under the eyes, tearing, swollen nasal passages, thirst, swelling, excessive sweating, increased urination, and diarrhea. Older children tend to present with a unilateral, temporal headache. Many sinus headaches are actually of migrainous origin. The headache location and intensity often change within or between attacks.”

• 10 years ago

Disprin

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Natural remedies work fine with me

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.