Just moved in - flat damp already in July - bedding damp after less than one week!?

We have just moved into a new rental property and have signed an 18 month contract with a 12 month break clause (at the request of the landlord who wanted a longer term commitment). On the 3rd day of living here I found a significant damp patch behind the wardrobe in my bedroom, on the first day we saw the large... show more We have just moved into a new rental property and have signed an 18 month contract with a 12 month break clause (at the request of the landlord who wanted a longer term commitment). On the 3rd day of living here I found a significant damp patch behind the wardrobe in my bedroom, on the first day we saw the large patch of mould on the bathroom ceiling which is clearly of concern as well.

The agency sent someone round this week to look at the problem and provide the landlord with an estimate for the repairs. They also identified 2 other problem areas. 2 of the areas were identified as rising damp and 2 as possibly being caused by a leak.

Less than 4 days after we had lived here I noticed my pillow and other bedding was damp, I have now found that the clothes in my room in drawers are also damp after less than 1 week. The living room also feels damp, when you sit on the sofa you can feel the dampness in the fabric.

We are waiting to hear when the landlord intends to send someone around to repair the problem areas and will be chasing the agent tomorrow regarding this. I have also had to purchase a de-humidifier already which I will be asking for a reduction in rent to cover the cost of.

Our main concern is that even if the 4 identified areas are fixed the flat will still be damp and that there will continue to be damp problems (of course at the back of our minds is also the possibility we may have problems getting the existing problems repaired but we're trying to stay positive and hope our landlord understands his legal obligations to get them repaired). The person who came round to assess the problem did not check the whole flat. But it's a basement flat in an old house and we just don't understand how come the previous tenants never reported any problems if we are noticing the effects of the damp so soon after living here. We are going to check with the agent if any problems have previously been reported, but not fixed, if that was the case our 'case' would be further reinforced for misrepresenting the state of the property when we signed our contract.

We are seriously considering our options. It is unbelievable after less than one week that bedding and clothes are damp, even worse that it's in the middle of summer!

Based on our contract and other information on the internet it looks as if the landlord has to give us permission to break our contract early, if we do choose to leave we will look for new tenants to take over the property, where we live we know it will not be difficult to find someone and we are happy to undertake this.

What we really want to know is, based on the problems we are having how easily can we serve immediate notice to move out, given that we have lived here less than 2 weeks now? The situation with the damp is pretty unbelieveable to be honest and we feel the state of the flat has been significantly mis-represented to us.

Can anyone please advise what happens if we want to move out immediately (with 2 months notice) and our landlord refuses to agree to this? If we find new tenants surely they have to agree the situation is not acceptable and let us move out.

Any information i've found on the internet seems to refer to people experiencing problems with damp a few months after they have moved in I cannot find anything about people having an immediate problem and whether what our potential remedies are for leaving early which is why I am posting this to see what the situation might be.

Any help is greatly appreciated!