How do I cook a small chicken for the first time?

I want to make a real meal for my roommates tonight cause all we've had the past two months is boxed and microwavable junk. There's a small 4lb chicken in the fridge but I'm not sure how to make it. I'm gonna serve it with steamed broccoli and maybe stove top or rice or something if I can it.

But what do I do with the chicken? What do I do with the gross stuff inside it? What's the best way to prepare it if I've never done it before?

Also, there's an issue of how fresh it is. It's been in the fridge since the 9th and the sell by date is July 12th (today's the 18th).

...help?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Misty
    Lv 6
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Here are phone #'s and e-mail of the USDA/United States Department of Agriculture-Food and Safety.

What Types of Food Are Dated?

Open dating is found primarily on perishable foods such as meat, poultry, eggs and dairy products. "Closed" or "coded" dating might appear on shelf-stable products such as cans and boxes of food.

Types of Dates

* A "Sell-By" date tells the store how long to display the product for sale. You should buy the product before the date expires.

* A "Best if Used By (or Before)" date is recommended for best flavor or quality. It is not a purchase or safety date.

* A "Use-By" date is the last date recommended for the use of the product while at peak quality. The date has been determined by the manufacturer of the product.

* "Closed or coded dates" are packing numbers for use by the manufacturer.

Safety After Date Expires

Except for "use-by" dates, product dates don't always refer to home storage and use after purchase. "Use-by" dates usually refer to best quality and are not safety dates. But even if the date expires during home storage, a product should be safe, wholesome and of good quality — if handled properly and kept at 40° F or below. See the accompanying refrigerator charts for storage times of dated products. If product has a "use-by" date, follow that date. If product has a "sell-by" date or no date, cook or freeze the product by the times on the chart.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Cathy
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Naw, I would not use that chicken. Poultry is very unstable if not properly used within the date even when it's been in the right refridgerator temperature.

Look, chicken can be very inexpensive. Same with pork. If you want to do a chicken, go get some chicken legs and/or thighs. They're like $1/lb. usually. And just rinse them with water really well and dry them. The store has all kinds of marinades in packages and bottles. Find something that sounds good and if you can't chose - chose one on sale just to eliminate decisions. So, if you are feeding four people - get 2 1/2 lbs. of chicken unless you have 2 or more guys - they eat more usually - then get about 4 to 5 lbs.

And just marinate those chicken pieces and then put in an oven proof baking dish an cover with foil and cook for about 45 mins. Then remove the foil and put under the boiler to give the chicken some grilled color. You'll want to turn the chicken about every 3-5 mins. under the broiler

Get some Instant Rice. Follow the measuring directions and then boil the water, shut off the flame, pour the rice in, stir, and then put a lid on it and wait 5 mins. and that's done. Easy huh?

And the steamed broccoli, it's easy to do in the microwave. Just put in a microvawe boil, put a little bit of water in, cover and cook for 2 min. intervals until you have the tenderness you would like the broccoli to be.

But, please do not use that old chicken in the refridge - yuck...!!!

• 10 years ago

Unfortunately you have to get all of the insides out by hand, so wear a glove. Just throw it away..... ew!

After that, brine it. Get a bowl that the chicken will fit in and fill it half-way with water (just to leave space for the chicken). Stir in half a cup of salt and 1/4 cup of sugar. Soak it for an hour.

Next, saute onions, celery, thyme, rosemary, sage, and parsley with a pinch of salt in either a stick of butter or half a cup of olive oil. The reason for that is to infuse the flavors into the butter or olive oil. Slip the onions, celery, and herbs into the hole of the chicken and under the skin. Adding more of the same herbs, only fresh, under the skin is really good, too.

Massage the chicken with the butter or olive oil left from the cooking. Then, put it in the roasting pan upside-down on a bed of onions. Follow the package instructions for baking it, just flip it back over for the last half hour.

NOW, here's the method to my madness:

The brine will seal in moisture and make it impossible to dry out or get tough. Don't worry, it won't make the chicken salty or sweet.

The buttery (or olive oil-y) mixture will add flavor and add even more moisture from the inside-out.

Cooking it on a bed of onions will obviously add flavor. Cooking it upside-down means that the bulk of the meat will cook in the juices that will come out, making it super moist. Flipping it over for the last 30 minutes will create that well-loved golden brown skin.

Does that NOT sound delicious?!

Source(s): I'm a good cook, trust me ;-)
  • 10 years ago

I would toss it unfortunately, but you should be able to smell nastiness if harmful bacteria started to grow.

Step 1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F

Step 2: Put inside the chicken 1 tablespoon of butter and a pinch of salt. Rub the skin with 1 tablespoon of butter and salt, pepper, and/or your favorate seasoning blend.

Step 3: Place the chicken in a roasting pan. Cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Pour over the chicken 2 tablespoons of melted butter and one tablespoon of cooking oil.

Step 4: Reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Cook for 30 minutes for a 4 lb chicken. Pour the fat in the pan over the chicken every 10 minutes. Add a pinch of salt. Turn the pan. Cook for another 30 minutes for a 4 lb chicken.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Buy another chicken.

Heat up oven to 375* F.

Remove any packets of parts from inside chicken.

Rinse before using. Pat dry with paper towels.

Season inside and out with salt and pepper.

Place on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up. Tuck a couple chunks of onion and celery into cavity. Place wings and legs so they tuck in around the body of the chicken.

Place in heated oven for one hour.

Make a discreet slice in breast meat. If juice run clear, chicken is cooked. If there is any blood in the juice, continue to cook.

Allow chicken to stand 5 to 10 minutes out of the oven before cutting. Discard onion and celery stuffing.

• 10 years ago

if the stuff inside is in a bag bin it

take the chicken make sure the insides are clean rinse out with water rub thyme round the chicken

place in tinfoil place in the oven and cook till tender the lower the heat the longer it takes to cook but is more tender make the stuffing seperate if cooked right it should fall off the bone

• 10 years ago

Chicken 6 days after the sell by date or best before date? Either way, not a good idea to eat it!

• 10 years ago

Roasting a chicken is easier that you think.

Follow these simple step-by-step instructions and you'll have a beautiful roast chicken for your roommates in no time.

http://www.cooking-made-easy.com/how_to_roast_a_ch...

• 10 years ago

TOSS IT!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.