What is a good space to rent for working on projects?

I'm a guy who likes to build things. My house has no garage or basement or anything. I need a place to work on my car and to finish the surfboard that I am building. I thought of getting one of those Public storage places, but they can be kind of pricey. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

You can look on Craigslist for a garage near you to rent, or buy one of those tarp carports if it would be suitable for your purpose.

• Todd

Build yourself a temp shed. You could do it with plastic conduit and tarp depending on how much sun you get and if you have a yard/parking spot that you can run your car in. If you need height, form an arch at the top with a three way 90 degree connector and run a spine across the top. You should run "feet" across the bottom. The building wouldn't be permanently anchored, so you wouldn't need a building permit. This all hinges on whether you have the space, of course.

If you live near a marina, sometimes they have boat-building/boat-maintenance rental areas. A storage area would work and I've seen people do that, but you'd have to be a little concerned about ventilation. I've heard of people using abandoned buildings (old schools/apartments/etc) for lofting just so long as they interacted with the realtor first. If you live in an area that's dumping schools and turning them into apartments, you might get a few months of free space.

Source(s): Mostly George Buehler and a handful of other friends

I would just check your local paper in the classifieds and see if anyone has a building or shop to rent. I would think you would want a garage some day and if you have the land that would be the thing to start on first, your " Man-cave" Just make it plenty large to hold all the stuff you want to build and keep in it. Hope this helps.

Look for what is called "virtual offices" search google. I've heard of a place called Davinci suites and Avanti suites. They let you pay by the hour.