Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

Is it true that phimosis will disappear itself?

I've read on wikipedia that most of people can't retract their foreskin down until late puberty? Does that mean my phimosis will disappear itself?

Favorite Answer

No, the Wikipedia entry is wrong. Phimosis will NOT cure itself.

There are two conditions which can stop you from being able to retract your foreskin over the rim of the glans and one which can prevent you further retracting it to lie smoothly along the shaft.

At birth the glans and inner layer of foreskin are connected by synechia (commonly called adhesions). These should automatically break down by the age of about 7-8, this breakdown being assisted by masturbation and regular gentle attempts to retract the foreskin to wash under it. When neither of these has been attempted, the synechia may persist into puberty but then usually breakdown as erections start to occur. If your synechia have not all broken down then a doctor should do it for you with a blunt probe. The presence of synechia makes full retraction impossible as they hold the glans and foreskin together.

Phimosis is the condition in which the opening at the end of the foreskin is too small to allow it to freely pass over the rim of the glans. You should be able to full, freely and painlessly retract your foreskin both when flaccid and after erection. This is not only necessary for full sexual satisfaction but it is essential that you fully retract daily to wash away the waste material called smegma which collects under the foreskin. Failure to remove stale smegma leads to nasty smells and an greatly enhanced risk of serious infections (including later in life - cancer of the penis).

If you can retract the foreskin over the rim of the glans but not smooth it back down the shaft then you may be suffering from frenulum breve. The frenulum is the 'cord' on the underside that links the back of the glans to the inner foreskin. Its sole purpose is to assist with re-covering the glans after an erection has subsided. In some men the frenulum is too short and prevents the foreskin from being fully retracted by tethering it on the underside. Alternatively it may pull on the glans and distort it during erection or full retraction.

Phimosis CANNOT normally be cured by stretching, with or without steroid creams. Stretching to foreskin opening enough to potentially widen it actually causes minute tears in the thin inner layer which heal to scar tissue. This is even less elastic than the phimotic surrounding skin and thus the condition is made worse not better. A stretched foreskin which somehow didn't tear will also tend to return to its natural shape and size once the treatment is ceased, again negating all the hard and uncomfortable work of the previous several months.

The ONLY sure and permanent cure for phimosis is circumcision. This also cures frenulum breve. Circumcision is a quick, simple and very safe external operation which can easily be performed under local anaesthetic in the doctor's office. Circumcised men not only enjoy enhanced sexual satisfaction during coitus but have up to 60% reduced risk of each of several STIs.

Frenulum Breve is best cured by circumcision which provides the additional benefits mentioned above. However if that is the only problem then the frenulum alone can be removed in a small operation called frenulectomy.

• Anna

That's incorrect information. On average, the foreskin becomes retractable around age nine.

However it's not uncommon -- or anything to worry about it -- if it's still not retractable later than age nine.

Phimosis typically does not disappear by itself -- you need to help it by stretching your foreskin. It's good to do it while showering or bathing. Pull your foreskin in every direction that you can; forwards over the glans, and especially as far back as you can get it. Hold it back, then release and do it again. Stop if you feel pain.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Tight_Foreski...

you just need to start stretching the foreskin back everyday a little more. You need to pull the skin back to not only wash everyday but to enjoy sex as nature intended it.

You dont need to be circumcised either.

Some reasons why people say a male should be circumcised.

1-- Its cleaner to be cut.

I wash everyday and have no problem with smegma or smell. Does that mean cut guys don't have to wash? Mine takes a whole 5 seconds to wash in the shower. Not really a big deal.

2-- It helps prevent HIV being spread.

While this "may" be true (I don't think it is) then why is the AIDS rate in the USA so high when the circ rate is still high for adult men, but Europe the AIDS rate is lower where the vast majority of men are uncut. the same goes for cervical cancer on their partners. Also what is wrong with wearing a condom? Not only stops pregnancy but many other STD's as well.

3-- Looks better to be cut.

So just because "some" people think it looks better does that mean everyone must be cut? If one person likes large breasts does that mean all women need a breast implant? Plus how can a large scar line around the shaft of your penis be attractive? And shouldn't you love the person you are having sex with for who they are and not the shape/size of their penis?

4-- Stops the male getting phismosis.

So because "some" men "may" have this issue all men should be cut? Doesn't make sense to me even more so when phismosis can be treated without circumcision. Plus we keep our tonsils and appendix when some people have problems with them.

5-- He may get picked on at school.

I never did when a lot of the other guys at school were cut. Why are other guys looking at my penis anyway? Plus I never had a sexual partner say they didn't want to have sex with me because of my foreskin.

6-- So he looks like dad.

My step father was circumcised as was my step brother. I never had an issue that mine was different because I knew I was intact and they were not. My mother taught me why mine was not the same as them and I never had an issue with it.

7-- Its my choice as a parent.

Is it your right to remove a part of your child's body for any of the above reasons when it does not need to be removed? Why not let the boy make the choice as informed adult what he wants done to his body.

moose

It seems you've been playing "telephone", the game where someone whispers something into the ear of the person next to them, who then whispers to the person next to them, and so on, until the last person repeats what they heard, which is usually quite different from what the first person said. In this instance, what the first person said is that Pluto has been downgraded to dwarf planet. The International Astronomical Union decided to redefine the word 'planet', because a lot of things were being discovered that would have been called planets under the old definition, but really didn't match what we mean by the word. Under the new definition, neither those objects, nor Pluto, are planets, they are dwarf planets.

The foreskin normally does loosen, but it's my understanding this should happen in early puberty.

Try gentle stretching. Sit in a warm bath or shower. Use two fingers inserted in the foreskin and gently stretch it 25 times. Do this daily for 6 wks or so. U should see a big difference.

Generally speaking phimosis does not disappear by itself. In fact, there is nothing wrong with phimosis and in many cases it is mis-diagnosed. Most guys have a tight foreskin and in some cases when an inexperienced doctor takes a look he/she might label it "phimosis". Even if it is, there is nothing too much to worry about.

Please do not subject yourself to unnecessary discomfort. You do not need to stretch your foreskin, soften it, or any of the other things that people will suggest.

You do need to understand that some people can retract their foreskin and some people can't. You are in the latter category, and that is not a problem. Just leave it alone. It will not cause you any disadvantage in masturbation or sexual activity.

Do not do things to your penis that hurt it or can lead to permanent damage. The truth is that you do not need to retract your foreskin in order for your penis to function properly or to keep it perfectly clean. If your foreskin does not want to retract, just leave it alone. It is fine and perfectly normal like it is.

The foreskin does not have to be retracted at all. As far as I can work out, this myth originated in the USA, which is one of the few countries of the world to have ever had a chronic circumcision drive. They promoted what came to be known as the "clipped" look and told the world that it looked good, was good for your health, was cleaner, etc. If you have studied even the most basic of medical science you will know that these claims are not worth the paper they are written on.

Retraction of the foreskin is something that occurs in most guys in their adult years, but it still leaves many millions of men, particularly in Europe, Africa, North and South America and Asia and Australia (in other words - most of the world), who do not ever retract the foreskin. This number also includes men with what they think of as phimosis, whereas in most cases they simply have a foreskin that does not retract. Usually, in trying to pull it back so that they conform to the perceived notion that the foreskin should retract, they hurt themselves and, in some cases, rip the foreskin or the glans.

None of this is necessary. If your foreskin does not want to be retracted, leave it alone. It is quite simple to keep it clean and healthy without ever pulling the foreskin back. It is usually much easier to masturbate and to have sex without pulling the foreskin back than by forcefully doing so.

There actually are millions of men in the world at any one time, myself included, who do not retract their foreskin. I have a number of current patients in a similar condition and have, in the past, treated men in Asia and other countries with the condition of tight foreskin. Not one that I have personally met and not one that I have ever read about has a problem with cleaning. Nor do they have problems with masturbation or sex. And I have to join with them in saying that it is ridiculous to suggest that our penises are not functioning properly.

I repeat - you do not have to open your foreskin just because other people do it. Millions of men are just like you and never open it all their lives. Their lives are not affected by it, so nor should yours be.

Source(s): Doctor of Andrology

No dude you need to start stretching your foreskin so it gets looser and become easier to retract, look here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=phimosis+stretching+exercises