humphries_i asked in SportsCycling · 10 years ago

i'm having bad hydration problems when i go out cycling, even over 2 hours?

most of the club tend to use 2 bottles over 3/4 hours but this is not enough for my can someone please inlighten me on what i should be doing to aviod a second round of hyponatremia.

i do drink a lot during the day as i need to as i do about 250 mlies on a bike a week.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

hyponatremia

Symptoms of Hyponatremia

The early warning signs are often subtle and may be similar to dehydration and include nausea, muscle cramps, disorientation, slurred speech, and confusion. At this point, many athletes drink more water because they think they are dehydrated. Unfortunately, water alone will increase the problem of hyponatremia. At the most extreme an athlete may experience seizures, coma, or death.

Treatment of Hyponatremia

At the first sign of symptoms an athlete should drink a sodium containing sports drink or eat salty foods. Ideally, an athlete should plan ahead and estimate his or her fluid loss and need for sodium replacement during the event, and stay on a hydration schedule during the race. If the symptoms are extreme, a medical professional should be seen.

Preventing Hyponatremia

The best way for an athlete to avoid such problems is to plan ahead by training in the same conditions you will encounter during race day. Hydration recommendations include:

* Use a sodium containing sports drinks during long distance, high intensity events (more than 60-90 minutes long).

* Increase salt intake per day several days prior to competition (except for those with hypertension).

* Try not to drink more then you sweat.

* During a marathon a good rule of thumb is to drink about 1 cup of fluid every 20 minutes.

* In the days before the race, add salt to your foods (provided that you don't have high blood pressure and your doctor has not restricted your salt intake).

* Avoid use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDS) medicines that contain sodium. Research suggests that these drugs may predispose runners to hyponatremia.

Keep in mind that all athletes respond differently to exercise; fluid and sodium needs will vary accordingly. Foods that provide additional sodium include chicken noodle soup, a dill pickle, cheese, pretzels, and tomato juice.

As always, it is important to consult your physician for special considerations if you have a history of any health problems or are taking any medication for a health condition.

• 10 years ago

Hump

What you drink is as important as how much you drink! If you are drinking water change over to a good sports drink .... an active sport drink and not one designed for recovery. A sport drink with a lot of salt / potassium.

Make sure you are using a standard water bottle cage and bottle... not the pateo size. Secondly, get the 'tall' water bottles. They still fit in the cages, but carry enough more that two bottles are close to three. You can also carry a 3rd bottle in your jersey pocket.

You do not need to drink more water than you sweat ... which on a very hot day should be no more than 1 bottle per hour. So between changing your drink. Using larger bottles, and carrying a 3rd (or more bottle) in your jersey pocket you should be good to go for well over 4 hours.

Also, next time you go to the doctors, tell him of your hydration needs. He will probably do a test for diabetes and a few other conditions which have a 'drinking' component to them.

Soccerref

• 10 years ago

I tend to sweat a lot when I ride. This means that I lose salt quickly and can cramp after an hour. The isotonic sports drink is a good idea, but you need to make sure that the salt gets replaced. I tend to use SIS Go for long or vigorous events. However, you can cook your own:

1 Ltr water

5 tablespoons sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

Orange juice to taste.

Other people will say that Ribena with a salt content will do.

Here is that thing that they don't tell roadies. The bottles are not enough. you need to drink 1 ltr per hour of exercise. Answer. Camelback or similar hydration system. You might get a sweaty back, but it allows you to keep going.

http://camelbak.com/en/sports-recreation/wearable-...

These vests have a hydration pouch built in.

http://camelbak.com/sports-recreation/spring-summe...

This is not a bad pack, as it allows you to carry 2ltrs water, but there is no stowage.

Not bad for the daily commute, as it allows you to pack a reasonable amount of kit.

This is good for all day events, as it has compartments, allowing you to distribute the weight of your gear.

Salt is important, but what you really want is Potasium. So eat a banana before you start and take along a nana for the journey. Flapjack with honey and fruit is also good for energy levels, as is Jelly Babies.

Energy gells may also help, but stay away from cafien, as this metabolises your carbs quickly. Carbs are quick access fuel and you should eat pasta the night before, perhaps cerial for breaky and you need to eat something straight after the ride. Maltloaf is a favourate.

Hope this helps

Luck

P.S. good answer from Atlanta

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Diabetes, also called diabetes mellitus, has become a very common heath problem. How to reverse diabetes naturally https://tr.im/Zwl1J

There are two main types of diabetes- type 1 diabetes in which the body does not produce insulin and type 2 diabetes in which the body does not produce enough insulin or the insulin that is produced does not work properly.

Some of the common symptoms of diabetes include fatigue, weight loss (even though you are eating more), excessive thirst, increased urination, cut and bruises that are slow to heal and blurred vision.

While there is no cure for diabetes, with your blood sugar level under control you can live a totally normal life. There are various natural remedies for diabetes that will help you control your blood sugar level.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

I use glucose (dextrose) powder in my water bottles (not too much about 1 dessertspoon full in each 500ml bottle and add a pinch of salt to each. sip dont gulp and not too cold I use 1/3 fruit juice and 2/3 water.

• 10 years ago

2 bottles of water is only good for me for an hour and a half, and this is the case with most normal cyclist. I agree with all of the answers above. As for me, I'm taking Hydrite tablet...

• 3 years ago

• 3 years ago

• 10 years ago

Drink more daily and take a platapus-bag when you go cycling for a larger capacity of water.

• 10 years ago

If you suffer from dehydration you could try taking salt tablets, these are available from Chemists where you could also ask their advice. Happy peddling.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.