? asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 10 years ago

Push Button Switch (Change States) Circuit Diagram Help?

Okay, I am thinking of a TV remote. You press the power switch once and the TV turns on, but the next time you push it turns off. I have been trying to figure out how to make this, but I can't!

Another way to think of it is like a Push Button Light Switch. You close and open (or push and release) the button once, and the light turns on. You close and open (or push and release) the switch the second time, and the light turns off. How does this happen?

If you know what I am talking about please give me a link to a circuit diagram. I am fairly sure this is accomplished with logic gates, I do have a small amount of experience with electronics. Thanks!

• TK_M
    Favorite Answer

You don't make 'em up out of ordinary switches. You can add electronics to do it, but that really is overkill.

It's usually done inside the switch by the manufacturer, not yourself and you want a "latching" switch.

These are sometimes referred to as "lamp switches" as you press them once to turn something on, and you have to press them again to turn it off. I think that is what you want?

Good luck!

• Ann

Simple push buttons are provided in 2 options Ones like those you have which open when pushed these are called normnally closed contacts The second closes when operated these are called normally open contacts So 2 options normally open and normally closed Normal position is when there is no external force on the button So go back to Radioshack and buy some normally open pushbuttons is the simplest option You will have some spare buttons of each type for future projects

• Doug W

you can use a flip flop to do it or any number of logic gates like a and gate.