? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Are you proud of the state of Iowa for doing the right thing?

In the Republican primary for Governor,

there were 3 candidates in the race;

Terry Branstad

Bob Vander Plaats

Rod Roberts

Plaats & Roberts are so obsessed with one issue and one issue only:

BANNING GAY MARRIAGE.

Terry Branstad is more concerned with the budget and job creation.

Guess who got the nomination?

Terry Branstad.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

None of which issues they legally have the ability to effect.

By law and constitution, governors do not makes laws, they execute them.

Governors cannot do the budget because only the legislature takes care of the financial budgeting, it is the governors job to ensure the budgets are carried out.

GOvernors cannnot create laws which ban gay marriage, which is an idiotic problem anyway. What we should be doing is separating church and state by separating civil union and marriage which is really the civil rights issue anyway. Only religion can create gay marriage, which is really a choice issue there. Anyways I'm digressing.

Governors cannot create jobs, nor can the state legislature, although they can cut regulations (the leg can not the governor) and taxes (again only the leg can do that) so that companies have some freed up money to spend on streamlining their operations and allowing them to keep or expand their employment issues.

Governors CAN however, encourage cutbacks on taxation and regulation, the severity of mixing of church and state and civil rights denials that civil union and marriage being the same creates.

OH I KNOW, the governor CAN also encourage more people to join the National Guard overwhich he is the commander in chief, thus creating more jobs. Of course then, For the sake of the conspiracy theorists out there, he will have to find some "natural" disaster to keep them busy.

I know we all think that the president (or governor) is some great position in the government. It is not. It holds no real power except in veto. And executing the law. Not much more, but influence and encouragement.

• moton
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

I've been to Vegas usually and in no way as soon as did a server, entrance table man or woman or taxi driving force look to be insulted by means of any approach that I can have stated the title of the State of Neh-VA-Duh. The "Duh" being intentional. You do have a lovely state, and I experience each yr in the course of 2 weeks in September golf in Mesquite, however "a few" of Neh-Va-Duh's citizens have an angle. See if you'll bet which one.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Iowa is on the fault line between rural liberal states like Wisconsin and Vermont and terrible backwards con states like Nebraska

• 9 years ago

Once the budget and jobs are created, watch how fast those hicks start swinging gays.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Anybody that is a strict constitutionalists will know that gays can marry. The bell of freedom must ring.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

watch them call him a RINO

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.