how to get better at tap?????????????????????

Ok so i am pretty good at tap but I know I could be better. My teacher wants me to compete a tap solo this year and i am really nervous. she says that i need to tap louder. any tips on how to do that. she also says that i leave pauses in between different parts of a step. for example i go hop, pause, shuffle, pause, flap, pause and so on do you know any tips to fix this? thanks!

Favorite Answer

To make the taps louder, seriously hit the ground harder, my knees hurt after tap because of it. If this doesn't work, then what I did with a pair of my tap shoes that were quiet was I loosened them a *little* bit so it would ring.

About the pauses, what I would do is practice the steps a little better so you don't have to think about them anymore, and that could be why you have pauses. Or, if it's just that you have the rhythm wrong, try listening to the music, and exactly how the taps fit in with the song, this should help you with the rhythm because then you can get the beat in your head.

I hope I helped, I wasn't quite sure what you were talking about about the pauses but that was my best answer! Good Luck :D

I do the same pause thing. To fix it, i practice the dance steps under my desk at school and say them in my head. Then i keep doing it faster and faster and eventually i have the steps without the pauses.