Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Is bass easy to pick up?

I've been playing guitar for 5 years. I'm a pretty good guitarist but I really want to learn to play the bass.

Will my being a guitarist help me naturally learn?

Favorite Answer

This is kind of a weird answer, Bass will be as easy as you want it to be or as hard as you want it to be. The thing is, it all depends on you. Many modern bass players limit themselves by only playing simple repetative eighth notes over and over. This is very easy to learn, i tought a 10 year old how to do it in an hour.

However, if you are willing to put in the time you can do phenominal things on the bass most people never hear. The best example I can give is geddy lee. Because he is in a three man group he has to do more to fill in. Here's a cover of one of his riffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPhyRyGAfc

Youtube thumbnail

Anyone who says thats easy to do is lying...With a bass you must remember the thick neck kills your speed, you being a guitar you probibly can climb up and down a scale fairly quickly....now imagine doing that on something twice as big.

With time and practice I know you could, like I said it's as easy as you make it ;)

p.s. ignore these people saying there's no such thing as bass chords....they are used but it's very rare. Listen to this song starting at 1:59. at 2:03 you will hear a couple of bass chords

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6rDWqjnW7w

Youtube thumbnail

Dann, I don't think she cares about picking up chicks, ha ha. Singing and playing an instrument simultaneously is tough. Very tough. Personally, I can't do it. I've been playing guitar, bass, and a number of other instruments for years, working on techniques that some people can't even wrap their heads around, (don't take my word for it, but I'm good) and I can barely keep my face from contorting as I play, let alone sing. Then again, some people have a natural talent for it. Any instrument is only as hard as you make it. If you already play violin and piano, it's not unreasonable to think you'd be able to pick up bass fairly quickly. As far as your band is concerned, if you're up to it, it's worth a shot. One thing I'll say, though, is that you don't want to be a jack of all trades and a master of none. If you're a good singer, then as you play bass it affects your singing, you should probably consider looking for a bass player.

ok first of people no....im tired of the "if u can play guitar you can play bass" crap its not true. by playing guitar you will know more about bass and have an edge over people who have not played a stringed instrument before but you will not be a bassist right away.even though the first 4 strings are exactly the same on the guitar as the bass it is a completly differant concept. im sure you can play a song like kryptonite right away but it will take you lots of practice to learn flea songs and such. it will also take you a ton of practice to learn all the teqniques such as slap..... so yeah you can play the easy stuff but dont assume you can say "i can play bass cause i can play guitar" thats like me saying i can play guitar even though i can only play on the E,A,D,G strings.

Source(s): Bassist,

Obviously the similar shape & strings/tuning will help you progress quicker on it, however do not treat a bass as an electric guitar it doesn't do melody (not always the case) as much as a guitar & is alot more rhythm focused & has to tightly lock with the drummer. Muting is a must to know as resonance is a b*tch that can kill yer tone & allowing notes to breathe rather than complicatingly playing it to bits non-stop.

Then depending on what you want to learn it can be deemed easy (eg blink 182) or hard (RHCP funk songs)

Source(s): bassist

sort of, i guess. you wont be using the same techniques on a bass, as you will a regular guitar (sweeping/sweep picking for instance). but being a guitarist, you will at least be familiar with the layout of the fret board.

if your already a good guitarist, i think its well worth taking up another instrument. so, easy to pick up or not, i'd go for it.

• alissa

Probably. I play a little bass and it's not too difficult. I don't even know how to play guitar, so it should be even easier for you.

Alot of these comments are faulse. It depends on your personal preferance in music. It's a well known fact that it takes an average of 20 years experience and practice for one to proficiently slap and pop on bass.

I would say it's probably similar to regular guitar but if you already are a guitarist, it's probably going to be pretty easy.

...why wouldnt it?

it will help you literally play it, but it wont help you know how to make runs that sound better on the bass than on the guitar. theres a whole different mentality behind it.

Absolutely, I did the same thing because virtually no one plays the bass. It is very easy, you just have to get used to the fact that there are four strings instead of six, and that they are harder to depress.