Circumcision question (NOT a debate, just a hospital practice question!)?

A friend of mine had a little boy about 9 months ago. We were talking last night about our birth experiences (we gave birth in different cities so pretty much comparing).

She told me that she had gone in with the intention of not circumcising her son. But after he was born, a nurse came into her room and told her that it was time to fill out the circumcision form so they could arrange a date and time to get it done.

When she informed the nurse that she wasn't going to circumcise her son, the nurse went off on her. She started preaching about all of the health benefits and social benefits and whatnot. Basically attacking my friend for her decision.

I asked my friend if she had gone to the nurses supervisor about it. She said "No. You know me, I made the woman feel like an idiot for trying to force her beliefs on me and I got over it. Chances are, she won't do that to another mother again."

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I'm actually kind of curious on what would have happened to the nurse if my friend had gone to someone in charge about it.

• Minnow
    Favorite Answer

She should have reported the nurse. But then again I've had nurses get after me for the dumbest things, like my 2 week old using a pacifier, not starting solids at 4 months, getting only the vitamin K shot (I don't have Hep B or chlamydia/gonorrhea or any chance of having them, so there's no reason for the rest), even when we said we didn't want them bathing him.

I do know that one of my friends who was having her son circumcised had the doctor go through an entire speech about 'not recommended medically" and basically made them feel attacked for choosing the circumcision. While some folks might agree with that... I personally agree with the AAP that doctors and nurses and hospitals should remain neutral and not agree or disagree with either choice. It bothers me either way when doctors or nurses speak up about their opinion on this in a way that can influence the parents, or be used in a way to influence other parents.

Meaning when someone comes on here and says "When I told my doctor I wasn't circumcising they said 'good' etc" it's wrong in my opinion. And when you say that a nurse attacked a choice to not circumcise, then that's wrong in my opinion as well. And both should be reported.

Add: Gabble, go read the 'medical guidelines' again. In the US, the medical guidelines say that neither the risks or the benefits outweigh one another, and that parents should not be encouraged, or discouraged, from circumcision unless there are contraindications. At this time, if a doctor is following the AAP recommendations, they are not supposed to encourage or discourage, though they are required to go over the pros and cons (and if circumcision has more cons against it than pros, well, that's the way it is.)

I did not run into a problem like that at the hospital because my OB is the one who does circumcision on baby boys and they don't do it in the hospital... they have you bring your baby back to the office when they are week old and do it there so nobody at the hospital even asked me anything about it.

The only weird thing with my OB's office is that they require everyone to pay the full $250 circumcision fee before the 7th month of pregnancy (even if you find out it's a girl at your ultrasound you still have to continue making the payments towards a circumcision in the event that you delivered a boy)... If you deliver a baby girl, they reimburse you the money. I asked the receptionist what if I have a boy and don't want him circumcised at all, then do I still have to pay the $250? She said no but I had to discuss it with my doctor, whatever that means lol

I think hospital's have different policies. Nurses are people too and they have their own opinions. I think it's extremely unprofessional to voice your personal opinions in a professional setting. I'm sure there are some nurses in that same hospital who also don't agree with circumcision and would never question a mother for making the choice not to do it.

I had a similiar experience but not with circumcision, with feeding. My son was jaundiced and under the bili lights. I had told all my nurses I would be exclusivly breast feeding. This one nurse was convinced that he had to have formula because he was "dehydrated" even though he wasn't showing any signs of it. She was literally bugging me every 5 minutes and kind of trying to make me feel bad for not giving in. I still refused and told the charge nurse and I never saw that nurse again and the charge nurse wasn't happy! The pediatrician came to check on him first thing the next morning and not only was he not dehydrated but his jaundice had improved so much that he was taken off the lights and sent home early!!! I then made sure the charge nurse knew this as well :) she was wrong and it could have compromised our breast feeding if I had given him a bottle at 2 days old.

Source(s): Mom to 7 week old and 2 1/2 year old.
  • The same thing happened to me when I had my son. I went in a few times thinking I was in labor and everytime when they were checking me in there was always the question... Are you having a boy or a girl? I'd say boy. They'd ask are you having him circumsized? I'd say no. Then they'd go into a big long lecture. You name it they said it. I just told them they were wasting their breathe because I already made an informed decision and they weren't going to change my mind. I'm not very outspoken and I really wish that I had said something to them. It still bothers me now and my son is 4 months old. It wasn't just 1 nurse it was EVERY nurse! The sad thing is that I work at that hospital (not on the mother/baby ward though). Then to make my experience even worse, as I was leaving the nurse was trying to tell me circumcision care and I said he isn't circumsized and she was like "oh yea" then she goes on to tell me to clean it that I need to make sure and pull his foreskin back to clean it. Anyone who has done research on how to clean an uncircumsized babies penis you know the foreskin doesn't pull back! It's a good thing I knew that already. Anyways I think the nurses should keep their opinions on circumcision to themselves. Obviously if a mom comes in having a boy then she already knows whether she wants him circumsized or not, so why try to convince them otherwise.

Ugh, sorry that became so long. I'm just still pretty bitter about the whole thing...

That nurse should be reported, and given a strict talking to by her superior. Even threatened with losing her job. I won't say she should lose her job, because she is probably just ill-informed, and that isn't necessarily her fault. American society at large is to blame. So is John Harvey Kellog...

I'm very anti-circumcision but if I were a nurse I would never go beyond giving new parents a sheet with the small list of pros to circumcision, and the very long list of cons.

• Connor

My best friends mom exsperienced the same situation when giving birth to her son. However she reported the nurse for it and I hope the nurse got fired. Actually no medical athority is sapposed to tell someone what to do or encourage them any which way. Just give them information and let the parents make their own choice.

Usually if someone complains and it's the first complaint then the person is usually just watched however after probably 3+ complains are filed the person is let go.

-Connor

Apparently it happens a lot in USA (you're in Canada though right)

It's very wrong and I think they will get disciplined if you complain because they are not allowed to do that, not to mention it's completely wrong (are no benefits, they proved that not long ago)

Courage it's completely different if a doctor says they are against circumcision. They're allowed to provide a medical opinion in line with current medical guidelines (which recommend against it). A doctor talking against it is different from a nurse talking for it because a) it's a doctor, not a nurse and b) the current medical guidelines are against it too

Our local hospitals (there is 2 of them) use to do this. Nowadays they ask if you want your baby circumcised. If the answer is "No" then they leave you alone. I have had friends who had babies here and that's what I been told.

What that nurse did goes against the medical code of ethics for nurses and doctors. Further more, it is illegal to force a medical procedure on anyone, period. If your friend had reported the nurse, she would have gotten in trouble. She may not have gotten her license taken away, but she would most likely have gotten a warning.

Source(s): My medical law and ethics class (I am a health sciences student).

I'm from Australia, and this couldn't have happened here because circ is no longer done in public hospitals.

Unfortunately, it seems like a common situation in the US (but nowhere else).

There is a whole page on this at

http://www.circumstitions.com/coerce.html

Source(s): www,circumstitions.com www.circinfo.org