How to use DEBT VALIDATION to fix credit? Midland Credit Management?

I have read a lot and most peopl say this works, a few say it doesnt. My question is, I have several accounts on my report that are 'owned' by midland credit management...a few things i noticed is 1. They have changed the account numbers on all of the accounts on my credit, as well as the "date... show more I have read a lot and most peopl say this works, a few say it doesnt. My question is, I have several accounts on my report that are 'owned' by midland credit management...a few things i noticed is

1. They have changed the account numbers on all of the accounts on my credit, as well as the "date opened" and "last payment" dates... so it really looks like i have DOUBLE the amount of debt on my credit, with half of it looking to be recent, instead of old charge-offs. Is this legal?

2. How old should a debt be before i request debt validation? Does it matter?

3. Should i send ONE validation letter requesting validation for MULTIPLE accounts, or seperate?

4. Do i file a dispute with the CRA first, or the collector first?

Anyone have any experience dealing with MCM and/or debt validation? What happened? I feel like they are somehow breaking a lot of laws.... please help!
Update: One thing i did want to mention, is that these accounts are only 2-3 yrs old. Original accounts are reporting a $0 balance, and then the account is listed by midland is reporting a balance as the "collector", but the dates make it seem like i just opened the accounts 3 months ago, when they were charged... show more One thing i did want to mention, is that these accounts are only 2-3 yrs old. Original accounts are reporting a $0 balance, and then the account is listed by midland is reporting a balance as the "collector", but the dates make it seem like i just opened the accounts 3 months ago, when they were charged off 2 yrs ago!