What are some good French books/novels to read?

I am at an intermediate level I would say, I took 3 years of French in high school, my fourth year reviewing the past 3 years of grammar I learned, and I took second year French at university level

I have read "Le Petit Prince", and have watched movies to the novels "Jean de Florette" and "La Gloire de Mon Pere" and "Le Chateau de Ma Mere"

What are some suggestions? Thanks!

• Orla
    Favorite Answer

Yes, they are good, I have read them all. "Le Petit Prince", and have watched movies to the novels "Jean de Florette" and "La Gloire de Mon Pere" and "Le Chateau de Ma Mere" Here is my list!

Stendhal:(1783) "Le Rouge et le Noir." (1830). (I love that one!).

Marcel Proust (1871): "A La Recherche du Temps Perdu." (1922). (Excellent, but it's a big book!).

Albert Camus (1913): "L'Etranger" (1942). (Very easy to read!).

Honore' de Balzac (1799): "Le Pere Goriot" (1835), Eugénie Grandet" (1833). (My favourite is the second!).

Emile Zola (1840): "L'Assommoir" (1877); "Germinal" (1885) and "Thérèse Raquin".(1867). (I prefer the last one).

Albert Camus (1913): "La Peste" (1947). (That book will shock you and move).

Victor Hugo (1802): "Notre-Dame de Paris" (1831). (Very sad!).

Voltaire (1694): "Candide" (1759). (My favourite philosophe and writer).

Bernardin de Saint-Pierre (1737): "Paul et Virginie" (1789). (Very romantic and paradisiac).

Pierre Laclos (1741): "Les Liaisons Dangereuses" (1782). (Excellent, you must read it).

Francois Mauriac (1885): "Therese Dusqueyroux" (1927).

Marguerite Yourcenar (1903): "Mémoires d'Hadrien" (1951).

Jean-Marie Gustave LeClezio (1940): "Desert" (1980). (Excellent).

I would also advice you Prix Goncourt:

1984 Marguerite Duras: L'Amant. (I was a bit disappointed by the end).

1985 Yann Queffélec: Les Noces barbares. (Different).

1987 Tahar Ben Jelloun: La Nuit sacrée.

Source(s): French native's choice: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prix_Goncourt

Try "Les Misérables" from Victor Hugo. It's a classic. It should be entertaining and a challenge, just make sure you keep a dictionary around.

Another very famous one is "Le Tour du Monde en 80 Jours" from Jules Verne

If you'd prefer shorter stories. Boris Vian has many little novels you can easily read.

• sturms

I too am surprised on the advice that Birmingham Public Library, extraordinarily a lot the biggest in the entire uk, has no books in French. have you ever asked: some libraries have the oddest actual preparations of their inventory. I learnt French myself, as quickly as I had mastered the climate, via examining the Maigret detective novels of the Belgian Georges Simenon, and not the rest till I had mastered his form and his vocabulary and ought to study him conveniently. He writes a reliable tale in user-friendly, common modern-day French, with various conversational communicate. I then went directly to deal with somebody extra difficult (François Mauriac because it occurred, yet to study him, you opt for important tolerance for organic gloom), and study in basic terms his artwork till I had mastered his form and vocabulary. After that it grew to become into Balzac, Maupassant and Flaubert in turn. each and every author has his very own vocabulary, so attending to appreciate it provide you with self belief. additionally, on no account pass to a dictionary till a clean be conscious particularly bugs you. To computer virus you it may well be particularly widespread and so properly worth studying, and in case you do no longer look it up till your head is crammed with, you will submit to in strategies the be conscious and what the dictionary tells you it skill.

my first french read was L'etranger. if you haven't done that one, i recommend that.