What makes a book a novel?

is it the fact that some one dies

the heart breaking ending ,What?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A novel is a book-length work of fiction. Just being fictional and bound isn't enough -- collections of short stories, novellas, and other fictional texts can be bound, but they don't thereby become a novel.

A book, by contrast, is a volume of fictional or non-fictional work. Although these are often bound, again, binding isn't essential. For example, books can be electronic with scanned images. The lack of binding doesn't mean that it isn't a book. Additionally, a book -- in common usage -- tends to have a copyright and be the product of a publisher. One could debate this aspect (e.g., is an unpublished diary a book?)

In short, a novel is usually a book, but a book isn't necessarily a novel. The terms aren't interchangeable. Just remember that novel normally refers only to works of fiction. If the book isn't fiction, it isn't a novel. (There is a subgenre of nonfiction sometimes called a "nonfictional novel"; the first well-known example of this is Truman Capote's "In Cold Blood".)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

There are some American novels that are image novels now. Christine Freehan has one and the James Patterson maximum journey novels are out in comedian style now too. i in my view do no longer purely like the assumption of them being in comedian style. at first, they are not dealt with with care. by this I mean they do no longer make an effort to locate powerfuble artist so the paintings is messy at suitable. additionally, there are fewer pages allowed in a comedian than a different so the story is oftentimes shortened and uneven. Secondly, i'm a author and as quickly as I envision my thoughts i know if i desire them to be in novel style or in script (as in action picture) style. although neither one is a comedian there remains a technique for use in the two procedures. Novels are novels for a reason, in the event that they have been meant to be image novels then the author could have got here upon a thank you to create them as such. additionally, whilst human beings attempt to replica this type of a eastern manga fairly some the time the paintings seems sloppy and fake. If by some skill this horrific vogue of turning novels into comics keeps i'm hoping publishing agencies provide up attempting to make it look like a eastern manga or Korean manwha and use a great American artist rather. DC and marvel have surprising artist. no longer each and every thing has to look like an anime!

• 1 decade ago

A novel is fiction which means the story is original not a documentary. You have to have a plot, characters, a beginning & an ending.

You will see many novels "BASED" on real events. What the authors do is change the locations, names of people involved and some aspects of the crime itself. They also can change the times, the gender of some main characters, etc.

• aida
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

A novel is simply a long work of narrative fiction in prose, with a plot and characters--in other words, a story long enough to fill a book on its own. It can be tragic, funny, both, or something in between.

Source(s): Retied English professor
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No, it's nothing to do with the story or the ending. It just means a book over a certain length that is fictional and written in prose.

• 1 decade ago

A fictional prose narrative of considerable length, typically having a plot that is unfolded by the actions, speech, and thoughts of the characters.

• 1 decade ago

I'm not really sure so I looked it up in the dictionary: Main Entry: 1nov·el

Pronunciation: \ˈnä-vəl\

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French, new, from Latin novellus, from diminutive of novus new — more at new

Date: 15th century

1 : new and not resembling something formerly known or used

2 : original or striking especially in conception or style <a novel scheme to collect money>

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.