Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Indoor Arenas.............?

One day when I get my own house (with a barn of COURSE)...I'll want an indoor or covered arena, as well as an outdoor.

I know you need specific permits to legally be allowed to install such merriment.

What types of permits do you need and how are they obtained?

Also, how much does installing an arena cost? Seems like it would be a pantload....

• DelP
    Favorite Answer

Honestly it depends on your area. The township I live in most building permits other than for residences are $50. If you are building structures to support farming in any way (including horses) that fee is waived. When I built my barn my permit cost nothing.

If I lived a few miles over in a different county and a different township the permits start at $2500. It is an important question to ask when you are buying property. The low/non-existant permit costs were one of the reasons we chose that particular house.

If you have have electricity, water, & drainage (like for restrooms installed) you'll probably need inspections for that. In my area the water & drainage are inspected by the township person who issues the building permits at no extra cost, but the electrical inspection was done by the county inspector. That cost was still pretty low (I believe $150) and included in the initial bill to get the electricity installed.

Arena costs are varied. A "fabric/plastic" tarp building might be quite cheap to setup (I think I've seen small ones at $8,000-$10,000 but I don't know if that including installation), but still cold in the winter. I've ridden in a canvas arena that kept heat in really well in the winter plus the sides rolled up for a cool breeze in the summer but that arena cost around $60,000 as I recall. A pole building would probably be in-between.

Well I don't know if this will help you or not. But we recently put in a new smaller outdoor arena. It's 100X150. Where we were going to put it wasn't level though, so we used our own equipment to plow the ground up, remove the topsoil, and level everything out. That took us a total of about 25 hours. (We kept everything documented so we could find out how much everything cost in the end ha.) Cost us about $400 in fuel. We didn't need a permit to do that though. Then we had someone come in and install that white vinyl horse fence and put in the posts and gates and such. (We could have done this ourselves but we ran into issues with our other arena in the past.) The guy did this all in one day and that cost us $3000. Then we had to order 6 dump truck loads of "cracker dust". That cost us another $2000 and then we mixed in some sand so we added another $500. Plus the cost of fuel moving around the "cracker dust" and sand cost another $300. So yes, installing an arena is damn expensive. And that's just a small outdoor! In total it cost $6200. And now we are having problems with people telling us we needed permits to put it in. But oh well. So I would say putting in an indoor about the size of our outdoor would prolly be 3 or 4 times the cost of ours.

Hope I helped a little! [:

Probably a builder's permit. And permission from a landlord. Installing an arena? About 2,000 dollars at the least. Buying one? 5,000 at least.

It's pricy but a good arena is worth it.

You can also buy a stable that HAS an arena (indoor and outdoor). A large corral can serve as an arena. All you need is metal fencing around, and BOOM! Arena.