wisemandonovan asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Dog drank too much salt water, he's vomiting and shivering.?

My brother took my dog to the beach today (dog is a 90 pound bull mastiff). When the dog swims, he splashes water in the air and ends up swallowing a decent amount. When they got home from the beach, the dog threw up about 1 gallon of salt water. Later on we notice that he looks miserable and he is shaking. We figure he is dehydrated so we give him some water, which he quickly threw up. I'm not sure what to do. I just feel bad he looks so unhappy and really sick, he's trembling really bad. Any ideas/suggestions???

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

    keep trying to give him water and a little dry food if he will take it. In the meantime call the vet they may be able to tell you something over the phone to give him to help settle his stomach until he gets rehydrated. if it makes him that sick they may ask for him to be brought so hey can give him an IV to rehydrate him. good luck

  • 9 years ago

    the dog needs a VET NOW because NO ONE on here can give you an answer. There are plenty of emergency vets in every area, or at least call the ASPCA hotline. Dehydrated/throwing up water is an immediate sign that he needs fluids!! And the vet can only do this by administering a needle underneath his skin to get fluids into him. Don't wait too long, a dehydrated dog will not survive too long. Also, how do you know he isn't poisoned??

  • 9 years ago

    Well, I don;t know if you've ever heard of this, but big dogs can sometimes suffer from a flipped stomach. This happens when they exercise a whole bunch then drink a lot of water. If this is the case giving him lots lots lots water isn't going to be very helpful at all. The vet is the only one who can tell. Maybe just call for advice from the vet if you can't take him in. Or you could ask about a payment plan.

  • 3 years ago

    Water Toxicity In Dogs

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    All I've got to say is to take him to the vet. The vet will probably start him on some medicine. Next time watch him so he doesn't drink anymore salt water. Hope this helps!:)

  • 9 years ago

    If this were my dog, I'd be going to the nearest emergency vet clinic I could find.

  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Your dog is dying from water intoxication.

    Either get him to the vet or dig a hole.

    -------------

    HYPONATREMIA AND DOGS

    I post this only in hope to help someone or their dog from suffering what I have suffered with my 1 year old Papillon, Lexie.

    Lexie decided to join my daughter and her friend for a swim during our heat wave. You would think she was part otter the way she kept launching herself in over and over again. After about 15 minutes, she left the kids in the pool and started to whimper, tried to walk and then collapsed in the shrubs. After trying to stand up a couple of times, she kept on collapsing. My daughter scooped her up in a towel and ran her into the house. By the time I got to her she had already vomited quite a bit of water, had a vacant look and had shallow, labored breathing. Her gums were pale. We rushed her into the emergency vet. On the way there she started convulsing. She arrived in critical condition and stopped breathing within minutes of getting in the exam room. Quick responses, CPR, stat blood panels, oxygen, and IV treatment for electrolyte imbalances, had saved her. Lexie was discharged from the hospital after 48 hours mentally alert but unable to use her limbs. The extent of damage to her brain due to oxygen deprivation was unknown.

    She apparently drank so much water while swimming in the pool that her electrolytes dropped to the point of causing hyponatremia (water toxicity) causing her blood plasma to thin and her brain and other organs to swell.

    Amie Lambert

    info@placerdog.com

    www.placerdog.com

    HYPONATREMIA* -- Water Toxicity:

    Any activity or situation...can lead to water intoxication when water is consumed to replace lost fluids. Anyone working in extreme heat and/or humidity for long periods must take care to drink and eat in ways that help to maintain electrolyte balance. Overexertion, heavy perspiration, and drinking large amounts of water to rehydrate, can lead to electrolyte imbalance and water intoxication. Even those who are resting quietly in extreme heat or humidity may run the risk of water intoxication if they drink large amounts of water over short periods for rehydration. If water enters the body more quickly than it can be removed, body fluids are diluted and a potentially dangerous shift in electrolyte balance occurs (particularly sodium compounds, such as sodium chloride). This causes cells to swell as a result of changes in osmotic pressure from within. When this occurs in the cells of the central nervous system and brain, water intoxication is the result. Initial symptoms typically include light-headedness, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, headache and/or malaise. Plasma sodium levels below 100 mmol/L (2.3g/L) frequently result in cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours of drinking the excess water. As with an alcohol poisoning, the progression from mild to severe symptoms may occur rapidly as the water continues to enter the body from the stomach or intravenously. This can effect human or dog and care should be taken when engaging in any strenuous activity especially during the hot seasons.

  • 9 years ago

    Yes - call your vet.

    He can tell you if you need to take the dog in or not.

    Source(s): lots o dogs
  • 9 years ago

    Get him some medical attention ASAP!!!

  • 9 years ago

    He could have caught something that was in the water: and now he has doggy fever. ):

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.