How do LIBS like more states enforcing immigration laws?

Brief for 9 states backs Arizona immigration law

DETROIT (AP) - States have the authority to enforce immigration laws and protect their borders, Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox said Wednesday in a legal brief on behalf of nine states supporting Arizona's immigration law.

Cox, one of five Republicans running for Michigan governor, said Michigan is the lead state backing Arizona in federal court and is joined by Alabama, Florida, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas and Virginia, as well as the Northern Mariana Islands.

The Arizona law, set to take effect July 29, directs officers to question people about their immigration status during the enforcement of other laws such as traffic stops and if there's a reasonable suspicion they're in the U.S. illegally.

President Barack Obama's administration recently filed suit in federal court to block it, arguing immigration is a federal issue. The law's backers say Congress isn't doing anything meaningful about illegal immigration, so it's the state's duty to step up.

"Arizona, Michigan and every other state have the authority to enforce immigration laws, and it is appalling to see President Obama use taxpayer dollars to stop a state's efforts to protect its own borders," Cox said in a statement.

Arizona's Republican Gov. Jan Brewer, in a statement released by Cox's office, said she was thankful for the support.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20100715/D9GVBRK80...

============================================

Perhaps Detroit can be saved from failed liberal politics finally.

What does crow taste like?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Calvin
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I know a number of "liberals", even die hard Obama fans, that want those borders closed and illegal aliens deported. Such is the overwhelming American position (liberal and conservative).

I know there are also liberals that support Obama on this, but I am just pointing out that Obama does not have the support of even a large percentage of "his own" concerning these things.

• r1b1c*
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

This is the problem with media that reports the news with a slant. If you read the title it states that this is what states are doing, if you read the content you realize that this is what the AGs of those states think. NOT what states are doing or even what the AGs are doing.

Basically, this is the politics of the Attorney General of nine states. These are ALL Republicans, THAT should tell you rather that all the other AG that also happen to be Republicans did NOT sign/join. The question is why not? They know this will be defeated, it can't/wont stand up in court, it is simply politicking.

• 4 years ago

in basic terms subject I actual have with the regulation is individuals of latino decent being effected, what occurs in the event that they are stopped and don't have id or data of citizenship? i've got heard they are able to in basic terms provide up human beings suspected of against the regulation, yet that would not propose your to blame, or perhaps ought to permit a seek or grant id with no warrant. in spite of if this is advantageous for US electorate of hispanic decent to no longer ought to tutor citizenship, then i'm advantageous with it. if your being charged with against the regulation then I understand, yet it particularly is already genuine while your processed. in spite of if it may well be genuine that being an unlawful immigrant is against the regulation, in basic terms subject is all the tax money which would be spent imprisoning all the immigrants. lol @ the guy above me, like they're going to care in spite of if this is a puerto rican or mexican, this is hispanic human beings oftentimes, purely occurs to be that maximum are mexican in the state of ARZ and all because of fact the bill would not explicitly say some thing, there are area outcomes and accidental effects to rules or coverage, end attempting to act like everyone around you is stupid i do no longer think of this might ever be solved till they are able to fasten down the border or Mexico can grow to be a extra ideal u . s . to stay in, yet neither will ever ensue. every person have any concept of the thank you to actual lock down the border?

• Ask the Chamber of Commerce what they think. There is a reason Republicans haven't done anything about illegal immigration on the National level.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We're not eager to go back to the Articles of Confederation the way conservatives apparently are.

Source(s): States are not fully sovereign entities, therefore they may not control immigration policy because it has been delegated.
  • 1 decade ago

The ones you refer to will only use it as proof that America is, indeed, a racist country and continue on with their LIES.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Liberals like it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I could care less, it is a lose lose situation.

• 1 decade ago

We support it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.