Pro-Choice(Abortion), if not, why?

I'm just curious as too people's opinions. Personally I am pro-choice, I don't see any reason for it not to be legal. Of course, only upt to a certain amount of time in the pregnancy ( preferably before term 2 starts...) My reasoning:

1. It is the mother's decision. It is her body, she can do with it what she wills. The *fetus* is not concious, nor does it have the capability of being concious at this point. It is not a human. I do not agree with the arguement that you are killing a person - I suppose it depends on your definition of person, and when something becomes a human. I mean, when i masturbate, am I murdering millions of babies?

2. This is more like an arguement. I have heard some people say that the *fetus* has a soul, now im no avid Christian, but doesn't the Bible say something about the baby has to take its first breath?

Also, for those of you saying that it should be legal under certain circumstances, ie rape, ect, that does not make sense. So you are saying, assuming you believe the fetus is a alive, that "murder" is ok if rape was involved?

Looking forward to the opinions. 10 pts answer that makes the most sense :)

Haha, for anyone who commented on my last question, I definitely messed up there. By Pro-Abortion, when I was typing it, I had ment for abortion being legal.

Why do you think the fetus is alive? I mean, I really don't get that part. It is a lump of cells not formed into anything. Again, I'll go with my masturbation example. Am i killing millions of people every time i masturbate? Or by wearing a condom, am I murdering babies? By preventing them from reaching fertilization, which they would have done if I had not worn one.

I agree with you Livin life... exept for the sex till married comment. Id prefer sex till you are capable of supporting yourself and a child...

And lol @ sex is alot deeper then cake :)

Hearbeat = alive? Im sure people can make some kind of experiment with a heartbeat, that means its alive? I would say conciousness = life.

And too the comment about how the baby is killed, last time i checked, you can simply take a pill for 2 weeks. Im sure that is only up to a certain point in the pregnancy, but if it requires a doctors assistance, i would say it is too late

Again, who says there was unprotected sex? Birthcontrol is not 100%. And I'm going to go with, a 14 yr old crack-head mom having a messed-up baby is not a blessing. Sorry if that seems harsh, but yeah.

Sorry, but did you just link me to a wikipedia article? Anyways.... Im a little tired now, so forgive me if i mis-interpret this, but the first sentence says "Life (cf. biota) is a characteristic that distinguishes objects that have signaling and self-sustaining processes (biology) from those that do not". A fetus is self-sustaining? Huh...

Ty Divine :), I'm going to have to look up/remember those details :P

Favorite Answer

At least your arguments make sense.

The Journal of American Medical Association says - at 26 weeks it can feel. Being able to feel connotates consciousness and sentience (or at least the rudimentary beginnings of it).

Researchers from the University of California, San Francisco in the Journal of the American Medical Association concluded in a meta-analysis of data from dozens of medical reports and studies that fetuses are unlikely to feel pain until the third trimester of pregnancy.[2][3] There is an emerging consensus among developmental neurobiologists that the establishment of thalamocortical connections (at about 26 weeks) is a critical event with regard to fetal perception of pain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_pain#Medical_st...

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/294/8/9...

If you believe in it (I do not but whatever) -

GOD himself says that life does not start until the first breath :

According to the Bible, man became a living soul when the BREATH of life was BREATHED into his nostrils (Genesis 2:7). Fetuses do NOT breathe through their nostrils until after BIRTH (which just happens to be when they receive a constitutional right to life in the USA). The Bible also says that some would be better off if they had NEVER been born (Ecclesiastes 6:3, Matthew 26:24).

~Pro-Choice Momma and Midwife; Have had an abortion <no regrets> and I have a 18 month old daughter <no regrets>. I believe in protecting my daughter's choice.

Abortion: There is a Consensus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsSQiazUvgo

Youtube thumbnail

EDIT - Sawyer

According to the Constitution, "All persons *BORN*....in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States."

What part of BORN - do you NOT understand? ? ?

Aegis of Freedom - Life is self-sustaining. A fetus is NOT self-sustaining.

Dalton's Mommy - A simple one-chambered tube that will eventually develop into the heart begins to pulse at 21 days. So it not accurate to say it has a beating heart -it is the *precursor* to a beating heart. An embryo has something -a very primitive heart-like organ- that flutters or pulses regularly but the pulsing is caused by the maternal circulatory system pushing blood through it rather than the embryo causing it. No one can point out the particular moment when the embryo or even fetus takes over it's own circulatory system and the beating of it's own heart.

Your facts aren't truthful ; )

In the medical field it is referred to as cardiac motion. The heart muscle is moving but the organ itself is not pumping enough blood to sustain life.

No one can say when the embryo or more likely the fetus takes control of it's own circulatory system and starts pumping it's developing heart on it's own. Until then a heart beat/cardiac motion is BUNK for proof of anything.

Mckilpin - The definition of the word murder is "unlawful killing", if abortions are legal it is not murder.

If you, despite this fact, want to continue to believe it's murder that's your CHOICE but legally you would be wrong.

If it is legal to have an abortion then it's NOT murder and it is NOT breaking anyone's commandments. Oh and besides - not all of us are christians and believe in the same BS you do.

Also, when most abortions happen in the first trimester - no limbs are ripped ect. Quite plying people with emotional propaganda please. It only goes to show that you do NOT have a good argument if you are using 'shock value' to change people's minds. Shame on you.

Golfer - The Bible also says that some would be better off if they had NEVER been born (Ecclesiastes 6:3, Matthew 26:24).

*Once again, remember - not all of us believe that christian BS. Get a better arguments that doesn't involve religion, okay?

• Jill26

I am pro-choice. I believe that if a woman wants to continue with a pregnancy, that's fine. I also believe that if she wants to abort, that's fine.

Abortion is not murder, despite what some people say, because a foetus is not a person - it acquires personhood and full human rights at birth.

I agree that the circumstances of conception don't make any difference - rape or not, it is the same medical procedure and the same end result.

Source(s): Pro-choice

Your number one argument is wrong. The baby has a heart beat after 17 days and can feel pain by 8 weeks gestation. You (and all the other pro-choicers) calling the baby a fetus is your way of justifying it. If a woman does not wish to have a baby then said woman should NOT have sex!!! After all, birth control is not 100%. A clump of cells? Only for a short time, like before you even know you are pregnant. I suggest you go to abortion facts.org and look at pictures of what an unborn baby looks like during different periods of gestation. No, you are not murdering anyone when you wear a condom; the sperm has not met the egg yet.

Alive= Heartbeat ....Conscious means aware. So it would be ok to kill you if you were not conscious (say passed out from too much alcohol?) Duh?!

No matter how the baby is aborted (pill or not) it is still murder.

I am pro-choice. I am a Christian man.

There are people who are pro-abortion for population control or to keep women in the workforce. It used to be so in China. I don’t think it is still that way there, but it likely is in other places around the world.

Your 3rd sentence fragment was “Of course, only up to a certain amount of time in the pregnancy (preferably before term 2 starts...)”. Of course, this defeats all the rest of your arguments; primarily, it’s a woman’s body and she can do what she wants with it. You wrote you would allow abortions “before term 2 starts”, which I understand to mean that they’d be good in the first three months, maybe later.

Also in many states it is now very complex for a woman to schedule and abortion. It is nearly impossible for her to schedule all those appointments, including doctors’ appointments within 3 months of pregnancy.

That’s especially true when other birth control methods – like a condom – failed, so she didn’t know she was pregnant.

So a woman might try really hard to get an abortion, only to be told she’s too late.

I am pro-life. (My mom and other anti-abortion people would disagree.) That means I support the protecting and maintaining the lives of every living human being / soul first (pregnant women included).

I oppose extremely late abortions (about 8 months or later) unless needed to save the woman’s life. [That is, in part, because she is likely to became attached to the fetus / baby in her womb, and she would hate herself for killing it. In addition, very many groups have adoption programs set up. I think if it were possible, she’d be better off trying one of those.] But every woman should have received proper pre-natal care, including the right to an abortion earlier in the pregnancy. And if that’s all she could do, or her health would be damaged, I’d ay Do It, I understand that mental health is serious, too. (I've had a few mental health issues since being pounded in the head with an ashtray , and Ive made it through them. But i get it.)

I thought you wrote you didn’t want it as a form of birth control; fortunately, you didn’t. [Maybe that was in a previous response] Of course it sometimes is. People often get abortions when other methods like condoms and pills fail. (and abortions are higher when these methods are discouraged by religions, etc.) Abortion should not be the primary method of birth control, but sometimes saying no doesn’t work for a young woman, and she just can’t insist on a condom.

I also support adoption over abortion where practical. I’ve heard many stories of happy girls / women who chose that, plus happy parents and adopted children. The Bible often refers to life beginning with the first breath. [It does have a few references to those in the womb including John the Baptist in the womb of Elizabeth jumping for joy when Mary, with Jesus in the womb arrived. But the concept of a “living, breathing human” is based on the Bible, as well as other religious texts. The Old Testament orders a more serious penalty for a criminal who injures a mother-to-be so severely that she has a still birth / aborts her child, but it is no where near the penalty for murder.

I strongly encourage women having abortion to do so as soon as possible after finding out they’re pregnant. If strong side effects are not expected I encourage the abortion pill, which should result in abortion /termination of pregnancy / nothing happening before the embryo attaches to the uterus. This is best for the woman, plus there are much less moral or legal considerations. But woman might not know they are pregnant until it’s to late to try and often the side effects can be serious.

Next, I disagree with conscious, because I don’t know what it means. I cited the wikipedia definition along with the Yahoo search for the term. How can one tell what “conscious” is? Plus, I was in a coma for over a month. Does that mean you could have gone right up and killed me in the hospital with no penalty? And I used to have nights I got so drunk I passed out. How about then?

Now I understand, some people stop breathing. Does that mean they’re dead? The easy answer is no. So breath does not determine whether life goes on. Same with heart beats. But when life starts and when life stops are 2 entirely different questions.

Also, on masturbating, NO, silly. Otherwise, in the 1st place, every month a woman would be having an abortion just from her period. There can be no real way that any religion (or anything else) determines that life exists before conception = sex + egg ready + sperm arriving + unity.

Source(s): http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=conscious&b=&fr=i... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness I also used the Bible, but I didn't let anyone's interpretations determine my thought process. l learned from 4 years in a prep school designed to train people to be pastors to always question what others claimed was in the Bible. (I did not become a pastor nor am I still a member of that church.) But I am active in another church. It's time to say I'm a scientist first and a religious philosopher second. I'm a politician third, but it's moving up the list. How else could I change the world?
  • Golfer

The decision was to have sex. To abort is to lose a part of yourself and your mates.

That bs of rape, incest and whatever is only 1/2 of 1 %. For those it wasn't a choice and still they will lose part of themselves.

Why doesn't an unborn baby have rights? Illegal immigrants have rights. Criminals have rights, but an innocent baby has no rights.

Every day we make decisions and every decision has consequence some good and some bad. The decision to have an abortion is a decision of life and death.

It takes a judge to sentence a rapist murder to death and then with all the appeals the man may not be executed for 10-20 years.

From a legal point

An innocent baby can be executed in one day, no trial, no judge and no jury.

From a Biblical point

The Bible says children are a blessing--so why kill your blessing?

From a moral point of view

The decision to have unprotected sex was the 1st mistake and aborting an innocent child was the 2nd. two wrongs never make a right.

That answer your question?

I am a Christian and believe it is murder. Nothing justifies murder. In the Bible, it says "Thou shalt not commit murder" - I'm sure that includes babies!

It doesn't matter if it's in her body, it still has a right to live. I'm not accepting the "It's her body, it's her decision" thing. If she doesn't want a baby, she shouldn't have sex!

Just because the woman was raped and the baby was forced upon her, doesn't mean she can just kill it. Adoption is always an option. Loads of women who cannot give birth would love to adopt a child and treat it as their own.

Babies are human-beings, regardless if they are still in the womb of the mother. Do you think she should just kill it if she said, "You know, I don't think I want this baby anymore and I don't want to give birth to it."

Do you know how the baby is killed? The doctor will just crush and rip out it's head and limbs and throw it in the bin and then use a hoover to suck out the blood and the rest.

Murder is evil.

What does it matter if the human is 1 day old, 1 year old, or 100 years old? It is still a human and has a basic right to life.

What does it matter if the human lives in your house, in your body, in a public park, or underground? It is still a human and has a basic right to life. You have a right to privacy in your own house...until you murder your child inside of it. You have a right to privacy with your body...until you murder your child inside of it.

Claiming that it is ok to murder a child based on nothing but age or place of residence is irrational. If it is alive and has human DNA then it is human and has a right to life.

[Edit] "Why do you think the fetus is alive?" Because it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life

A fetus meets all the scientific requirements for life.

As for sperm, they are not alive and do not have unique DNA. A sperm will never mature into an adult, an egg will never mature into an adult because they are not complete and not alive. A fertilized embryo is alive, has unique DNA and will mautre into an adult.

[Edit #2] So if you give birth to a baby and never feed it, it will be perfectly fine because it is self-sustaining, right? Nope, it will die, so then it must not be self-sustaining and is therefore not alive, right? Or....maybe you are twisting the real meaning of self-sustaining to suit your own viewpoint. Quadrapalegics can't feed themselves and aren't self-sustaining, are they alive?

Why do you find it necessary to twist words to try to justify murder? Why not just accept what science and basic common sense tell you. A baby is alive, whether it is 1 minute after conception, 1 month after conception or 100 years after conception. Whether or not it can feed itself is irrelevant. Where it lives is irrelevant. What stage of maturity it is currently at (fetus, infant, toddly, teenageer, adult, etc.) is irrelevant. None of those things change the fact that it is alive and human and therefore has a fundamental right to life.

Source(s): Biology

I agree wholeheatedly...I dont beleive in abortion after 16 weeks, and I dont think it should be used for birthcontrol. Some people feel its wrong, but isnt a 14 YO having a baby and living off public assitance for the next 18 years wrong too, and the chance that that child will be a screw up? We need stronger parents to teach our kids right from wrong, to save yourself (virginity) till marrried. Sex isnt like having a piece of cake, its much deeper, but society today has made it an everyday thing..it has lost its real meaning.

• Mutt

I'm Pro-Choice. Why? Because, in the words of Justice Harry Blackmun (in the Court's opinion of Roe v Wade), "We need not resolve the difficult question of when life begins. When those trained in the respective disciplines of medicine, philosophy, and theology are unable to arrive at any consensus, the judiciary, at this point in the development of man's knowledge, is not in a position to speculate as to the answer."

In other words, if the so-called "experts" cannot all agree, the courts should not make that decision.

<aside> Just because I'm Pro-Choice and like to use this quote to explain my position, it does not mean I think RvW was correctly decided. I'm also a big supporter of State's Rights, and RvW tramples on those. Abortion should be left up to the States to decide if they will allow it or not, and not the Federal government.

• Sawyer

I'm not pro choice because the Constitution protects right to life. Regardless of whether or not it's defined as murder (murder is defined by law only), stopping the process of life is essentially ending the life...or killing, by definition.

As far as being alive, it is alive...otherwise, nothing would happen if left alone. Just a mass of cells not forming in to anything, like a tumor.

edit. I just explained why it's alive in the previous sentence....sperm is fertilizer, to make the life, not the life itself. A sperm, on it's own, can make no life. There is no life until fertilization is complete.

edit. So....if someone knocks you unconscious, you're not techinically alive, so it's okay to kill you, in your mind?

And your going to base your opinion on .000000001% of abortion cases....drugged out teenagers?

Self sustaining PROCESSES. The fetus is in the process of becoming self-sustaining. Not that you are genuinley interested in why anyone would be pro-life....

Source(s): pro-constitution