Best Identity Theft Protection?

I became the victim of identity theft last year but decided then I would just try to resolve things myself. Well I did but I just found out whoever has my identity opened an AT&T account in my name so now I've decided to get protected. Any advice?

Favorite Answer

After you've done the usual like filling out a police report and placing fraud alerts or locking your credit file, look into an identity theft protection service that will scan not only your credit reports daily, but public databases, court records, and black market internet websites.

Most people think all identity protection services do is place fraud alerts but that was Lifelock in 2008. Today, almost all identity protection services (including Lifelock) realize its almost impossible to prevent identity theft and have developed technology to scan, monitor, and help you resolve situations just like this.

When your information has been compromised, you need am identity protection service to help monitor your personal information like name, SSN, address, account numbers DAILY - something you simply can't do on your own.

I like TrustedID for their family pricing but that's just me.

• Arie

There is no such thing as protection against identity theft. The only thing you can do is keep your personal information safe everywhere, also on your computer. Make sure to have all required updates installed for your operating system and applications, install a proper anti-virus solution and keep it updated, do not click on random links, do not open e-mails from people you do not know, et cetera, use your brain. Identity theft is nothing more that someone who gathered sufficient information about you to abuse this information. For example, if you would require to give your name, date of birth and bank account number to be able to open some sort of account somewhere, giving this information to someone on the internet will enable them to open such an account on your name, as you have supplied them with this information. You cannot protect yourself against this, except for being careful who you trust and what information your provide others with.

I can relate to your story. someone @ my dentist office copied my debit card info and went shopping online .

I am so glad was in time and the money was returned to my account that day. I located a good company that provides Identity protection, credit monitoring and antivirus and ant-spy ware @ a very good price that's affordable and the good thing about it there was no deductible. check it out for yourself @ http://pay.myignite.com/

• Moo

If someone is pretending to be you and opening accounts under your name then you have to take this to the police.

Ehm..

Here is a good course you can follow if you want to learn some self defence tecniques to protect yourself and your family http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=563.