Is the Humane Society of the United States: a good reputable organization to donate to?

Wasn't sure which category to put this in, but here goes. I am a person in favor of animal rights and a vegetarian who wants to give some of my hard- earned money to help animals in need, and I recently saw a commercial on tv from the Humane Society of the United States asking for donations ($19 a month).... show more Wasn't sure which category to put this in, but here goes. I am a person in favor of animal rights and a vegetarian who wants to give some of my hard- earned money to help animals in need, and I recently saw a commercial on tv from the Humane Society of the United States asking for donations ($19 a month). I'd rather donate to someone else besides PETA because I'm not a huge fan of them. Has anyone ever donated to the Humane Society of the U.S. before? Are they legit/reputable? Any advice would be helpful, thanks!