is it healthy to let my newborn cry?

my 5 week old baby will cry if i dont hold her and sleep with her. how do i get her to sleep in the bassenett without alot of crying?

Favorite Answer

I found that putting my hand on my baby, just resting it reassuringly, helped him fall asleep when he was that young and having trouble. Bundling / swaddling also helped a TON, for us. We _did_ have to do a Cry It Out variant later on, and that was heart-wrenching, but at 5 weeks, that's too early for sleep training. For reference, CIO is targeted at infants as young as 4 months of age (according to Wikipedia), so put that out of your mind.

Get her used to sleeping in the bassinet by not putting her to sleep anywhere else, and taking her out as soon as she wakes up. Just like an adult, babies need to associate their bed-equivalent with sleep, in order to form healthy sleep patterns.

For a few days, don't leave her alone in the bassinet when putting her down to sleep, be there, touching, soothing, present and visible, whatever it takes other than picking her up. Especially if you can be visible when she wakes up, so she knows you've been there, it might help.

For us, it was all about touch and swaddling, though. The security of presence and safe-feeling of swaddling.

Best of luck!

Source(s): Father of a 2+ year old, another on the way in October.

no, dont let her cry! when they get older and know better its okay, but right now she does not need to learn to soothe herself, shes only 5 weeks! thats what a mother is for! i plan on using the cry it out method if i NEED to when my daughter is over a year old, and even then i wont let her go for more than 5-10 minutes without going in to soothe her.

i had the same problem and after co sleeping for a while i put her actual co sleeper in pack n play so she felt secure. when she got too big for it i started putting her in her pack n play without any problems. shes now sleeping in her crib and we had no problems with the transition.

it will take some time, but it will happen. my daughter is almost 4 months old and still wakes up when i try to put her down at times. that young (5 weeks) they just want to be close to another body, preferably mommy.

and to mark...your not a mother! a baby cannot become a "brat" or spoiled at 5 weeks!!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SPOILING A NEWBORN. She SHOULD be with you all the time. Put her on your lap or on a swing or in a co-sleeper. It isn't normal to have a newborn be alone!!!

if you run to your baby EVERY time she cries....she will quickly become "spoiled" and a brat...

...if shes crying because shes hungry?....thats a different story !!

babies cry for a variety of reasons :

1) feed me

2) burp me

3) change me

4) play with me

5) im teething, and it hurts

depending on why she is crying..but i read somewhere that its ohkay to let babies cry it teaches them "to sooth themselves"