Best Wedding Advice You Have!?

Hello Ladies (and gentlemen)!

I am writing a tell-all book about the honesties of planning a wedding (I am a wedding planner!)

I wanted to include some of the best "real" advice brides have received...

For instance;

"Sit on the toilet seat backwards when you have your wedding dress on... it's awkward, but ensures your dress stays flat and doesn't sit in the gross back part"

If you include your name/city/state i'll quote you!

Thanks!

Best Answer

Take a minute to look out at the congregation or wedding group. This is probably the only time in your lives that everyone you love will be in the same room.

The year after we got married, my grandmother passed away, and two years later one of my groomsmen died suddenly. I have this wonderful picture in my mind of exactly where they were sitting and how they looked, and it's a treasure.

J.T., St. Louis MO

• Edna

I just answered your other identical question and then saw this one. So I'll say a bit more. All the people who shoot weddings, from the hack with a new dSLR to Bambi Cantrell, Monte Zucker and Jeff Ascough had a first one. The ideal way to begin shooting weddings is to have a very good basic understanding of technique and the art of photography, whether that comes from formal education in the classroom, or the school of self-study and hard knocks. On top of that, assisting or interning with an established pro is an immense help. Then add in having the right tools to do the job and knowing how to use them. When all three parts of the wedding photography equation are there, the chance for success goes wayyy up. Take away a piece and the odds of great images fall quite a bit. How much the dip is depends on how much is missing. So, you are missing experience and equipment. Maybe skill, and knowledge too. None of us know how much you have learned in the few months you've been a hobbyist. You may be a great photographer, some people take to it quickly with an innate grasp of light and composition. Then it's a matter of learning how to translate their vision to film (or sensor). Others plod along at novice snapshot level for years, never understanding that a better camera will not make them a better photographer. I don't have a problem with the amateurs who come here asking how to better shoot their first wedding. Most of these first wedding photographers are pressed, cajoled, browbeaten or bushwacked into duty because they are either the family shutterbug, or they have a decent camera, perhaps the only dSLR among the circle of friends. Not every wedding has a budget of thousands or tens of thousands of dollars, and often the B&G would have nothing but disposacam snaps from table cameras if someone refused to do the photography as a favor. Although I am a firm believer in "It's the photographer, NOT the camera", the reality remains that unless he really screws up, he will get shots better than a bunch of kids with a disposables or Aunt Edna with her five year old Kodak Easyshare. Now, if he presented himself asking something like, "I am starting a wedding photography business next week, what camera and lens do I need and what should I name it?", then he deserves whatever raking he gets. But here, this is not the case. He is just a friend trying to help. Plenty of amateurs shoot weddings. Sometimes that ends in heartbreak for everyone, but sometimes it's all OK, even if not perfect. I hope this one will be OK! Good luck, and read those links I sent in the previous answer.

Remember that while this may be your wedding day - it's just another day to the rest of the world. That means you have to simply get over yourself.

Let the planner do her job. You are paying her good money for her expertise, so let her do her job (this is especially good advice for MOBs - who tend to want to take over).

The fewer frills, the fewer guests, the less money you have to spend.

Don't release animals into the wild (this includes butterflies, doves, ladybugs etc.)

Pay for an au paire (or team of au paires) to care for your guests' children during both the service and the reception. trust me. Forgo some other costly detail but pay for babysitters.

Wedding favors should be something easy to deal with - preferably edible (a couple of butter cookies, handful of bridge mix, mixed nuts, jordan almonds, etc). Custom CDs, book marks, photo cubes etc. eventually wind up in the trash or a yard sale. Imagine how embarrassing it would be to see your expensive custom wedding favor on display at the local thrift store!

Source(s): Barbara B. From Gassaway, WV

Mallie Denver Colorado

When you are picking out your wedding dress remember that it is just a dress. For one day don't blow your life savings on one dress.

Pick nice places for your pictures. Not an alley, you will regret it when you are fifty. The wedding is just one day, your kids being born are so much memorable than the wedding don't over blow the whole thing

Stay organized all through your honeymoon. Keep lists of gifts, make checklists of the wedding planning, of all your receipts things like that.

Source(s): Getting married in September

REAL ANSWERS

1)Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction.

2)To the world you may be one person,

but to one person you may be the world

3)There is only one happiness in life,

to love and be loved.

FUNNY WEDDING JOKES YOU MIGHT WANT TO HEAR!

1)Behind every great man there is a surprised woman.

2)A man in love is incomplete until he is married. Then he's finished

3)I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.

4)Marriage requires a person to prepare 4 types of "Rings": Engagement Ring Wedding Ring, Suffering, Enduring

5)Marriage is like a hot bath. Once you get used to it, it's not so hot.

Hope this helps for the FIRST part..maybe not so much for the second part..lol!

• Take a breather!

Although its the most important day of your life, its just that-one day. Dont go over board on the budget. Imagine all the things you could have bought, a down payment on a house, an extended honeymoon, a new bedroom set!

Also remember its your day. Invite who you want, leave out who you dont.

And that its not about anyone but you :)

The best advice I ever recieved was this:

"Do not rush to get your wedding planned. Take your time and enjoy every second of the planning because your first wedding isn't something you can do over. It's your first for the rest of your life."

Hayley Isabella, Joplin, MO

• Blunt

What about taking the dress off so you don't get all the mess from the toilet bowl all over? Grosss

Anyway, the best advice I have is to hire a professional photographer. Many brides think that they can skimp on photography and have other unnecessary things instead. You only have one day to get married and only one chance to document it. If you go cheap, you get cheap. Complains about photography is what brides complain about the most.

Blunt, MD

Good luck

Make sure you take a fan with you on the wedding night to the hotel. If you live in the UK they don't have A/C in the rooms. If you live in the States the A/C is not always brilliant. Take a fan!

Jenni, Derbyshire UK

• Leia

This was the best advice I ever got after I was engaged and it helped me in decision making and understanding why people act the way they do:

"Weddings bring out the best, the worst, and the awkward"

Therefore I was prepared for those types of moments, and there was ALOT!

-Lexy (Buffalo, NY)