Faster video conversion?

I have some training videos in mkv format, size ranging from 1 gb 4.5 gb. We need to convert them to some other wmv/avi/mp4 format to display them on a TV monitor, through the DVD player. I needed a fast video converter to convert these files quickly. The present XiliSoft converter is taking too long time and... show more I have some training videos in mkv format, size ranging from 1 gb 4.5 gb. We need to convert them to some other wmv/avi/mp4 format to display them on a TV monitor, through the DVD player.

I needed a fast video converter to convert these files quickly. The present XiliSoft converter is taking too long time and we have a large number of videos to convert. I have a dual core computer; it tends to get hot after an hour of converting.

Can you please name a smarter software that can do it quickly and efficiently.

We are not very much concerned about quality, as they are just classroom videos. I will also prefer smaller file size for ease of storage. Any idea about formats?