Why is getting a tattoo against the Bible?

Hi. I'm Catholic..and I'm very open and not very judgmental. I really want to get a tattoo when I turn 18..but I'm purely wondering why is it against the Bible to get one? What if it's a religious tattoo? I don't exactly understand...

• Lilly
    Favorite Answer

It's not against the Bible to get a tattoo. I don't understand where you are getting this concept. There is no point in scripture where it forbids us to get tattoos... It sounds like someone just told you it was against the Bible so you took their word for it.

Do keep in mind though that the body is God's temple. Literally. The Holy Spirit resides in you, so treat your body well.

As far as tattoos go, though, I know plenty of Christians with tattoos and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Just make sure it's not something you'll regret later. <3

Actually I'm Christian and I have yet to find it anywhere in the Bible that says no tattoo's. Some will say it's defiling your body but a tattoo or piercing is body art and isn't about what your fellow Christian, Catholic or whoever thinks. It's about what that art means to you. Check with "The Bible Answer Man", he really gets into it and gives a great answer.

I have a few tattoos one I love the other not so much. My advice to you as a Christian with tat's is, don't get one on your 18th bday. For some reason people act like getting to that age is like a free ticket to do things you weren't allowed to do before. It isn't. There are consequences to your actions and in this case it's a permanent consequence. (tat removal is expensive and painful) Turn 18, think about what tat you want and where you want it. If months or a year later you still really want one then go for it. Just remember, placement is key. Having a tat on your arm, face, leg anywhere that visible can cost you dearly depending on what you want to do with your life. Start small in a hidden area then if you're really into it do something else. Most people that love tat's don't just have one.

Good luck and God's peace :)

There is a part in the Bible that says do not make markings on your body and do not cut your body.

Most of the Bible is symbolic terms and metaphors. Even my family is Catholic and we do not find tattoos bad. Infact my mum has 2 (a lady bird on her ring finger as she is allergic to metal and a rosary on her other hand), my sister has 2 (stars on her wrist and a design with the initials of all our family members on her ribs) my dad has 2 (he has hell on one calf and heaven on the other one) and I have 2 (A butterfly on my shoulder for freedom after school and a guitar with 'music is my life' on my hip).

And we still are thinking of getting more..

Its just that your tattoo should not be too loud and do not try to show it off, like women get tattoos on their lower backs and wear cropped tops to show them. Remember the tattoo will last forever and it should be mostly personal to you!

Source(s): Roman catholic
  • Corner

Tattooing is not against the bible, but the bible does say to treat your body with respect. Your body is a temple of God, so you should treat it like one.

Tattooing isn't bad, but it can become bad if you tattoo bad things, or if you almost start mutilating your body because of so many tattoos.

The source is Leviticus 19:28. It was prohibited because it was a practice of idol worshipers.

The prohibition is specifically speaking of intentionally cutting oneself so as to leave a permanent mark. The process of tattooing accomplishes this by repeatedly piercing the skin and leaving indelible inks behind. And although the reason is due to idol worship the prohibition doesn't end there.

• Ralph

Its in the Jewish Law of the Old Testament. I don't believe that the New Testament says anything specifically against Tattoos.

But I think that most christian denominations frown on them based on the scripture that says that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. If you consider your body to be a temple of the spirit given to you by God, then maybe its a little like spraying graffiti on the side of a holy building.

• mike b

Go ahead and get your tattoo, i,m sure you will not have to answer to anyone why you have one. Religious or otherwise. But make sure you really want one, it,s the trend at the moment, but i,m starting to see reports that people who have them now wish they did not. Tattoo,s do have a religious background any ways. They were for protection against bad luck and to show that you were religious with your body paintings. They originated in Asia, then the sailors of the world copy them . Enjoy your new tattoo.

Maybe because the bible says your body is a temple for the Holy spirit and you should not defile it.

1 Corinthians 6:19 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

• Janice

Dont insult his intelligence. He knows you just wanted the tattoo, not the cross. Its like saying, is graffiti ok as long I draw a tree?

I'm not 100% sure about this but that law is mentioned in Leviticus along with many others such as not cutting your hair and wearing clothes made out of different materials. Jesus fulfilled the law and you don't have to follow those anymore.

My pastor actually has a tattoo on his finger of the day he married his wife :)