do goldfinches eat zinnia flowers?

a pair of goldfinches have been eating mine- Western ny state

• Favorite Answer

They'll eat the seeds in the middle; they're not interested in the flowers themselves. If you put up a feeder with nyger thistle seed, they'll probably opt for that and leave the flowers alone :-)

If you're seeing holes in the flowers themselves, then it's more likely that bugs are the culprit.

Yes, the goldfinches are munching on my zinnias. I see this every day. These are the only flowers they prefer. I see the petals on the ground and know they've been having a feast. It's not bugs. I've seen those pretty yellow and black finches swoop down and enjoying the zinnias. The bugs are going after the mums to a degree.

Yes, I saw a pair (for the first time) eating the seeds in my backyard garden today. It was so exciting to see them because I did not put out a bird feeder, so I thought I would not see any goldfinches this year.

Sylnice W.

St. Louis, Mo

Yes. I saw a pair of them today, plucking the petals and eating the seeds inside.