Consequence for breaking a contract?

my dog died a few months ago, but my parents don't believe me when I tell them I'll take on full responsibility for it. I got my dog when I was 3 years old and because I was so young, my parents were forced to take care of him, and he was never trained. he was a bad dog, especially at the end before he... show more my dog died a few months ago, but my parents don't believe me when I tell them I'll take on full responsibility for it. I got my dog when I was 3 years old and because I was so young, my parents were forced to take care of him, and he was never trained. he was a bad dog, especially at the end before he died.

I've been asking for a puppy since a few weeks after he died. I (and everyone else) can see the longing in their eyes when a family dog visits. But they simply won't agree to it. they're convinced that I'll take care of it like I promise for a few weeks and then give up.

I want to write a contract. A contract that says I aknowlegde all the responsibilities I'd have to take on with a dog. And since I'll be on my own in less than two years, I think it's a good idea. I think I'm mature enough to honor a contract and not break it, but when I presented this idea to my mom, she said i need to include a consequence I have to accept if I break my promise (besides getting rid of the dog).

please help me. im stuck.
Update: by "on my own" i mean I'll be a high school graduate. I'm graduating in December 2012 and the loft I have lined up allows dogs.