Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

The Greenies want YOU to give up YOUR air conditioning to help the environment...does Al Gore have AC?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic...

This isn't smart. In a country that's among the world's highest greenhouse-gas emitters, air conditioning is one of the worst power-guzzlers. The energy required to air-condition American homes and retail spaces has doubled since the early 1990s. Turning buildings into refrigerators burns fossil fuels, which emits greenhouse gases, which raises global temperatures, which creates a need for -- you guessed it -- more air-conditioning.

A.C.'s obvious public-health benefits during severe heat waves do not justify its lavish use in everyday life for months on end. Less than half a century ago, America thrived with only the spottiest use of air conditioning. It could again. While central air will always be needed in facilities such as hospitals, archives and cooling centers for those who are vulnerable to heat, what would an otherwise A.C.-free Washington look like?

Favorite Answer

of course the environmentally disastrous by his own habits Al Bore does, you wouldn't expect him to walk his talk would you?

Source(s): May God Bless you and keep us all safe from the progressive axis of evil,0bama,Pelosi&Reid

The energy used to power fans instead of (newer) air conditioners is actually more so air conditioners are actually a more economical and environmentally friendly choice. A lot of people don't realize that if used correctly an air conditioner can be better then a fan when it comes to power usage. I personally don't like the way air conditioners make the air so dry and do prefer a fan but when it's 101 degrees out and 105 in my apartment it's time for the air conditioner.

It's the old air conditioners that are often times used improperly that are the biggest problem.

• rrm38

It's fine with me if you want to pay outrageous power bills. If nothing else, people should be willing to cut back on energy consumption as a matter of fiscal common sense. The idea is to curb, not eliminate, energy use. The simple act of installing a programmable thermostat has saved me over $100 per year on my power bill. Working from home a couple of days a week has saved me about $50/month on gas. The simple fact is that we do not have a never ending supply of fossil fuels. Everyone should be willing to jump on board with the idea of not burning ourselves into a shortage. I don't think we're killing the planet, but we are most definitely wasting our resources.

Get over yourself. Taking care of our planet isn't about whether or not Al Gore is personally suffering through a sweltering summer. It's about personal responsibility. It's about being a good Earthling. Whether Al Gore is or isn't doing it, the question is are YOU doing it. If we all started being more careful we could shame the higher ups, tell them we've done our part, now how about you rich bastards try living a bit less lavishly. If it doesn't kill them, it will make them stronger. I personally will have my fingers crossed for the former, but that's just my opinion. Also, are cities like Las Vegas never to be held accountable for their wastefulness of water and energy? Why hasn't this dialogue been started in America? I hardly think schools should be taking drastic measures when Casinos and lounges just keep right on going down the same destructive path. **** those people. I don't think it's fair they get to be so destructive when there are perfectly good people in the world sweating their bums off trying to make a difference.

I haven't put my AC in the window for years. And, we've had record high temps.

So, personally, I don't mind keeping my energy bills lower.

If that makes me a "Greenie," I don't mind.

And, if giving a **** about the environment means I should be mocked, I don't mind that either.

In my real world life, I don't preach to people or try to get them to do things they don't want to do. But, for me, I do what I feel is best. And, if it also happens to benefit other people, so much the better...

Source(s): Though, I'm curious... It seems that you now believe that "greenhouse gases" influence the temperature of the surrounding environment (i.e. global warming)? I thought that stuff was a myth, right?

Why do you think of it somewhat is humorous? i assume issues are distinctive interior the entrapment of your measurement.attempt MARIJUANA, get off the corn likker even nevertheless i comprehend this is the supervisor industry on your neck of the woods.Sorry Hee Haw have been given cancelled.Is that the trauma that stored you from shifting on?

If the other candidate for President had been elected in 08, the US would be building a hundred new nuclear power plants by now, and this would simply not be an issue. Votes have consequences.

Gore? Gore who???

"Global Warming" is DEAD. All of their "scientific sources" were exposed as FRAUDS and the Global Warming crowd was left with worthless carbon credits on their faces.

Al Gore... John Edwards.... all living in mansions that used 7-12X the amount of energy that the average american household uses. Who gives a flying Obama what these fools have to say?

I don't want you to give up your AC.

I want you to stop being anti-environmental because you're too blinded by partisan rhetoric to realize that taking care of the environment is not a "socialist power grab."

Source(s): Radical Environmentalist who doesn't believe in law or force / Enemy of hypocrite profiteer Al Gore

You and your fellow conservatives should feel free to continue in your self-indulgent selfishness. The hell with the environment!