Jim asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

What Do You Think About the Swiss Deciding to Release Roman Polanski?

Sounding undeterred by Switzerland's refusal to extradite Roman Polanski, Los Angeles District Attorney Steve Cooley said he'll seek to get the filmmaker back if he's caught by a country willing to return him.

"We will discuss with the Department of Justice the extradition of Roman Polanski if he's arrested in a cooperative jurisdiction," said Cooley, who's running for California attorney general.

The Swiss government said U.S. authorities failed to provide confidential testimony about Polanski's sentencing procedure in 1977-78.

The Obama administration was disappointed by the Swiss decision, The Associated Press quoted State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley as saying:

"The United States believes that the rape of a 13-year-old child by an adult is a crime, and we continue to pursue justice in this case," Crowley said.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Los-Angeles-Calls-1020...

Favorite Answer

What Roman Polanski did was a disgusting crime. Nobody disputes that but this incident happened over 30 years ago. The girl is now a woman in her 40's and she's asked that the whole thing be dropped. At this point her life is being ruined more by the U.S. government trying to bring this man to justice. If the victim wants the whole thing dropped, she should be respected.

I don't know the complete story so it's hard to sit back & judge this guy for me. And i'm not really the type that likes to judge people either. Personally i thik it all depends on the circumstances for me. I don't think it's right for a 40 some year old man to have sexual intercourse with a 13 year old teenager. But then again i believe that we have too many people in prison as it is. And i don't think it's right that in these cases that the now 40 some year old Woman who this teenager turned into has no say in this. As my understanding is that she has been against the idea of him going to prison for this. And that to me tells me something. I think there are other things they can do with Roman besides cruel & unusual punnishment. As it seems that this lady does not feel like she was treated in a way for him to deserve that. And i have a problem with Governments not listening to the subject who is considered the victim in cases like this. Cause to me if the subject themselves wants the individual convicted & behind bars it's different than when they don't. I mean unless this lady has a history of severe mental illness i think she has the right to make up her mind on this. And her witness should be taken into account. And it's wrong that it's not. I do think that if the lady wanted the man in prison that the Swiss would have extradited him back to the U.S. And rightfully so.

Also people don't tend to realize that these types of laws like statutory rape are a trend that is not that old. And there are many previous cultures & governments who didn't have these laws in the past. I mean as someone who used to be pretty religious. You grow up respecting historical & bibilical figures who would lets face it be in jail if they lived today. The only thing that would make what Roman did illegal if she was not forced was if the marriage was not approved by the government or tribal leader in which they lived & if they were not married. So the crime for Roman would have been not being married to her, not being with her the way he was. I mean people don't tend to understand that a lot of those biblical & historical heroes wouldn't be looked at as biblical or historical heroes cause many of them married young women who were as much as 20 years younger than them. And that would be illegal today. I mean it's just a completely diferent world we live in when it comes to what's considered bad behavior in many senses. It's also amazing to me that some of these religious groups don't really address this. When they've got figures like the virgin mary who were impregnated by the creator at an age that many would consider way too young today. And think well what kind of God would want a young woman that age to have a child. So like i said it's completely different. I'm not saying that these things are right. I'm just saying we come from a history that is still somewhat widley accepting of these historical ways without even thinking about the legal differences that would completely change how these individuals are viewed.

I'm glad to see Polanski will not be sent to the U.S. Not only am I a great admirer of his film career, but can you imagine the inevitable four to six months of continuous media coverage that would follow his return? No thanks! Besides, Polanski deserves a break - his wife was murdered here in the United States, by the Manson Family.

@ Rockit: Polanski is also a Holocaust survivor.

The Swiss government should be sent to Gitmo. But I saw this coming. I never really expected them to. They don't need any confidential testimony and I seriously doubt they were denied anything they seriously demanded to see. Other Nations do not respect our laws, bottom line is Polanski is considered a hero in Europe, he could shoot someone and they wouldn't charge him for it. The Dutch flip us the bird in the Natalee Holloway case, now the Swiss flip us off about Polanski.

• Oscar

Have you ever heard the phrase justice delayed is justice denied. The guy is what 76 or 77, what good would it do now. He got away with it.

He is probably going to die soon anyway. Other than providing care at taxpayer expense for his last few, what would be the point?

• Rick31

Polanski is an old man with young children. Let him be. If he was that important to justice the US would have fought to get him back 30 years ago.

Is prosecuting a guy who replaced into lied to by ability of a youngster who replaced into pretending to be an person truly so significant and nicely worth spending this plenty time and funds on? He did some thing incorrect and he or she did some thing incorrect....time to circulate directly to extra significant subjects.

You know you can go to JAIL in Switzerland for criticizing their banking system, or noticing that most of their country's money, and reason for their high living standard, are the result of cash from drug mafia and African cleptocracies, which in fact cause MOST OF THE MISERY in the 3rd world.

Add to that their collusion with the Nazis in WWII, hoarding the money of European murdered Jewry, and financing of Hitler's Army ("neutral" my a**).

Source(s): Switzerland is not a free country - the US needs to stop pretending they are.

...and the US is always willing to extradite it's own citizens to face foreign courts. I wouldn't have a problem if the US was willing to hand over the criminals that reside state side.

Kind of crap that you have to expect from progressives. I am not surprised at all!

Every single actor or actress that supports Roman Polanski needs to be boycotted. Let them suffer in the pocket book. We have that power in a market economy!