Is it illegal to pirate music/videos/games?

I was just reading through questions and came across this answer that someone gave

3 out of 4 people do it but the bottom line up front is that there are many different reasons for doing it and not all of them are criminal. For instance, it's against the copyright law to profit from another persons intellectual property (book, music, video, etc.) but not just to watch, listen to or read it. If it were, libraries could not check out books and videos. Most people don't do it as a business, they do it to see if they like the artist or product. Like sampling a cologne at the mall.

I was wondering if this person is correct, and pirating IS legal. Or is it still illegal? Please be descriptive with your answer!!!

I do not pirate or steal music, nor do I plan to. I am just curious about the law (I love disclaimers)

Favorite Answer

It's still illegal. But most of the time, companies don't go after individuals who download illegally. More often than not, it's the group who releases the downloads that gets hit by a lawsuit.

And just because it's like sampling does not make it legal. The ends do not justify the means.

If you copy a cd, movie, or game then yes it is illegal even if you're just using it for yourself without selling it. It is illegal because you made an exact copy, and did not pay the owners for the item u copied.

sure. this is illegitimate with the aid of fact reported application is copyrighted. this implies this is illegitimate to make copies. Pirated application is illegally copied application. do exactly no longer do it. human beings have had to pay extensive settlements on piracy expenditures.