Buying a new laptop. DELL or HP?

I don't know much about computers. Buying a new laptop. I have 2 friends who know computers. One says he will help me select a DELL. Where you specifically pick all that you want, and DELL builds it for you. He claims "off the shelf" comps have alot of things I do not need priced into them, and that... show more I don't know much about computers. Buying a new laptop. I have 2 friends who know computers. One says he will help me select a DELL. Where you specifically pick all that you want, and DELL builds it for you. He claims "off the shelf" comps have alot of things I do not need priced into them, and that building your own DELL is the way to go.

My other friend says HP is of MUCH better quallity. He would recommend an off the shelf prebuilt HP over a DELL anyday of the week. Hes says its like a BMW vs a Chevy Cobalt...

My use would only really be the internet, downloading music and basic Microsoft office like word and excel (but not even for detailed work purposes, just simple home applications). Nothing fancy. Price range is around $600-$700. Any recomendations would be appreciated!