How does the Solid State Drive (SSD) and RAID 0 work?

I am setting up my own computer soon and I wanted to get some things clear before finalizing my selection. This is for my hard drive. At first, I wanted to get a SSD to hold my Operating System (OS) and certain programs and then another internal SATA hard drive for capacity.

If I got a SSD with Windows Media Player and Microsoft Office installed, could I save my files on the SATA HD and still be faster than having everything on the SATA drive? Is this even possible? Or would I only have my OS on the SSD drive and then everything else on the SATA HD? (Any suggestions on the size of the SSD I should get operating Windows 7 Home...)

And about RAID. Should I wait for a more SATA 6.0Gb/s RAID-friendly hard drives to hit the market? The Western Digital one right now does not support RAID and my friends tell me to wait for RAID support. And can a build with 1 SSD drive with 2 HD in RAID array be compatible on one computer?

Thanks!

• Arie
    Favorite Answer

Every SSD can be used in a hardware RAID, but your motherboard will need to support RAID. SSD's have very high reading times, making them very fast when used for your operating system and applications. SSD's are still very expensive per GB, so often a normal hard drive is used to store personal files on. Depending on your motherboard, you could use two SSD's in a RAID0 for your operating system and applications and use two normal hard drives in a RAID0 for your file storage without any problems. The question is what you want to achieve though. Two SSD's in a RAID0 will be very fast for starting your computer and launching applications. Two normal hard drives in a RAID0 for storing personal files is not advisory. It would be better to use a RAID1 in this case for your two normal hard drives, to have redundancy of your personal files in case of a hardware failure. Make sure to purchase a SSD which supports TRIM by the way, as this will keep your SSD in good health.

You need at least 80GB for your OS drive if its Windows. Install only slow and heavy applications on your SSD such as the OS, Photoshop etc. For media it doesn't matter; mechanical drives will be fast enough. RAID has nothing to do with the hard disk supporting it. You can put any bunch of HDDs in RAID. And the SSD will also be SATA BTW, but it will not be able to saturate the 3.0Gbps SATA2 bus. If you put two SSDs in RAID, each one will have its own 3.0Gbps bus.

Also you CANNOT use SSDs with a hardware RAID card. Unless the RAID card specifically supports SSD, it will most likely fail to properly create an array with SSD (their response times are simply too fast for the RAID card microcontroller). SSDs will work perfectly with onboard or software RAID though.

install os and programs on the tiny, expensive ssd. put all other data onto regular sata.

Programs and os will load faster. Other data on sata will be loaded negligibly slower.

The programs and OS present the longed loading times, so ssd is well suited for them.

HDD will bottle neck the data speed

30 GB ssd is decent