When choosing a place to eat out, what is your most important consideration?

This is the fourth in a series of questions about dining out. The first one dealt with great restaurants that were off the beaten path, the second with places to get breakfast and the third with ethnic food places. Consider everything you take into account. What draws you to a particular eatery? Reputation? ... show more This is the fourth in a series of questions about dining out. The first one dealt with great restaurants that were off the beaten path, the second with places to get breakfast and the third with ethnic food places.

Consider everything you take into account. What draws you to a particular eatery? Reputation? Cleanliness? A popular chain? Fast service? Price? Friends with the owner?

My first consideration is quality. I like good food at a reasonable price. My tastes vary. Sometimes I want one thing and sometimes another. If I want a great hamburger I try to find a place that makes great hamburgers (no, I'm not naming any.) If I want Chinese I try for a good Chinese place.

Reputation is important. I want a clean kitchen, good food and a reasonable price. If I like the people who run the place that's another consideration. Fast service helps, too, but I'll wait a little longer for a good meal. I usually go for chains if I'm traveling and don't know the local food all that well, but sometimes I pick them because I like the food.

What grabs your fancy when you want to tie on the feed bag?